More affordable alternatives to RC PR wet food?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! It's been a while since I've been on here. Just to update: After almost a year of trials and tribulations with skin/stomach issues and struggles tweaking their diet, I'm so happy to say Milo and Phoebe are doing wonderful! The last few months we've been free of any bathroom accidents and their skin has mostly cleared up :yess: They are running around playing like maniacs and are more affectionate than ever!

So... food. To recap their diet the last few months: They were on RC HP dry kibble for about 6 months to set a baseline for food trials. While it cleared up their diarrhea/loose stool and reset their system, something in the ingredients list and/or only eating dry food was making Phoebe's skin 10x worse. Her dandruff was OFF THE CHARTS and fully visible all over, plus her fur became extremely waxy/oily. I have to assume the food was the cause, as that was the only change I made in their routine. Phoebe's skin just continually got worse, and while she didn't seem uncomfortable/in pain, I was sure she wasn't having the best time of her life.

So I reached out to my vet for a recommendation. Phoebe has always liked wet over dry (Milo has no preference), and because I suspected the dry food to possibly be causing her skin issues, I asked for a wet food option to test the waters a little bit. But my vet has been theorizing that they have IBD, and basically told me it's probable they will never be able to have wet food ever again without issues. :sigh: It was definitely a kick in the shins for sure, but I didn't want to just give up without trying first. So, she gave me a prescription for RC PR rabbit and pea protein wet food, and for the last few weeks I've been slowly switching their food over. And shockingly... they have no problems! I'm not sure if it's because it's another prescription food, or because it's a novel protein, but they are doing great. They love the taste, it's caused virtually no bathroom problems (save one soft piece getting stuck in Milo's butt hair at the very beginning lol), and Phoebe's skin is almost dandruff free! But it isn't without issue...

Quite obviously, prescription food is EXPENSIVE. The RC HP was about USD$80 for a 8lb bag, which wasn't horrific given how long a bag could last. But the RC PR averages out to about USD $100 every order for a case of 24 cans, even with my autoship savings through Chewy. A case lasts a little less than two weeks, and after three orders now, I'm starting to worry because I can't afford it with my income. I just spoke with my vet as well, and she advised to avoid any grain-free food which makes my options even more limited.

Does anyone know any similar wet foods to the RC PR that we could try? Should I really be so worried about grain vs grain-free food? I'm open to anything at this point, even maybe trying raw food, as long as it's cheaper than what we are doing now.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if she has ibd, prescription food is not required. She needs an ultrasound to know for sure.if so she will need to be on medication for inflammation. My cat eats weruva. If she never acts nauseous or throws up continuously, it may not be ibd. An ultrasound will show it

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches had numerous tests and an ultrasound, nothing was diagnosed. I think she is intolerant to chicken and cannot eat smooth pate and chunks of meat. She can eat minced.no chicken or fish, her problem is throwing up not diaheria

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have any idea why your Vet said grain free is bad? If they don't have a valid reason, you could go with Instinct's limited ingredient Rabbit . Freely makes a limited ingredient dry in rabbit. I'm sure there are others out there. The issue is grains, so the real question is why your Vet thinks they need them. My understanding is that cats have a hard time digesting them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if she has ibd, prescription food is not required. She needs an ultrasound to know for sure.if so she will need to be on medication for inflammation. My cat eats weruva. If she never acts nauseous or throws up continuously, it may not be ibd. An ultrasound will show it
Yeah, we've never had a problem with throwing up just random diarrhea with no rhyme or reason really (which is why this has all been so hard- no consistent thing seems to be the cause). My vet did discuss medications, but hasn't ever recommended doing an ultrasound to me, so that's really good to know thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have any idea why your Vet said grain free is bad? If they don't have a valid reason, you could go with Instinct's limited ingredient Rabbit . Freely makes a limited ingredient dry in rabbit. I'm sure there are others out there. The issue is grains, so the real question is why your Vet thinks they need them. My understanding is that cats have a hard time digesting them.
She told me that grain-free has been linked to heart issues for dogs, and while nothing is definitive for cats yet, it's kind of a "better safe than sorry" situation. Phoebe and Milo handle grain fine, the RC HP has some kind of rice I think in it and they had no issues.
I did try to call my vet and ask if she had any other recommendations than the RC, but she really wasn't helpful (she just google searched with me on the phone for about a minute and told me to do my own research which... okay). I've spent a little time looking around, but I have yet to find a cheaper rabbit wet food that isnt grain free, which has definitely been frustrating. They actually used to eat Instinct before all of this (not the rabbit one but others), and honestly it's looking like it'll be one of my only options :/

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, didn’t read replies.The RC PR is the only good if you are feeding a novel protein diet that many cats with IBD need. Both my cats are on it and they have done very well on it. I have tried some other store brand rabbit diets but there aren’t any comparable. I go through a case a week, so I feel your pain. I pay about $120 a case.

The problem with raw and cats with IBDis that you don’t want to feed raw to a cat with a compromised immune system for obvious reasons.

I have given up many things so my cats get the right food. Funny, I make sure their diet is nutritionally balanced, yet I live off top ramen.

When RC was back ordered I did try some pet store Nobel protein diets but it caused vomiting and upon further investigation the ingredients had chicken or something else which makes no sense.

I don’t know why your vet would recommend dry food as it is considered to be a trigger in IBD, at least by some vets. Also the carbohydrates in dry food is high and allot of cats have problems with carbs.

bebemau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reading these posts simply make me depressed.

I have given up many things so my cats get the right food. Funny, I make sure their diet is nutritionally balanced, yet I live off top ramen.
Am on the same boat where kitty is not eating and possibly have IBD. I completely feel what you are saying there, I am sure a lot of us feel the same way.

Vet prescribed RC Selected for my kitty, and has suggested that his current food is possibly causing inflammation. He will eat a little bit of the new food and just walk away. Has been two days I broke down and gave him his old food. When cat does not eat I really feel like I am fighting a losing battle, why does it have to be so difficult :confused: