Moose broke a tooth

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came home tonight and when Moose meowed his standard "Welcome home" greeting, I noticed his lower left canine tooth had cleanly broken off, leaving about a 1/4 inch of the tooth.  He will let me touch it; he's still eating, drinking and playing. I think I can see some of the tooth pulp, however. The visiting vet is coming tomorrow morning to take a look at it. 

Has anyone else dealt with this and if so, what happened?

Thanks

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happened to one of my girls a year ago. Long story short, whatever was left from that tooth, had to be removed. And fast. We didn't realize anything was wrong until she started screaming in pain (yes, literally screaming) when she was trying to eat. Took her in right away and it took no time for our vet to find what was wrong.

You need to take Moose in for a regular dental under anesthesia to take care of this. No visiting vet can do what needs to be done.

Please, don't wait with this, have a regular animal hospital or clinic do a dental as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is coming just to look at him and determine what to do.  Had he exhibited any signs of being in pain I would have acted immediately.  The vet's office didn't classify it as an emergency; if they had I would have taken him in right then.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. Believe me, I do. However, the fact is, whatever is left of a broken tooth, needs to be removed. There is nothing else anyone can do. The reason: besides becoming extremely painful, broken teeth become infected. Eventually a broken tooth becomes a real health hazard. So, the sooner we have whatever is left of a broken tooth removed, the better. Removal is the simplest, most effective remedy for a broken tooth. And, please believe me, trying not to take a cat with a broken tooth in for a dental is not the best, most loving thing we can do for a cat. 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed..
Cats are wonderful at hiding pain. Violet is lucky to have one that lets her mommy know, but most cats do not.
It's a waste of time and money to have a vet do a house visit.
:nod: