Months later and new cat still hates resident cats

dun14ham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a six month old female kitten in August.  She had been left outside and abandoned by renters who had moved.  I don't think she was properly socialized as she highly resists holding and isn't afraid to scratch and claw when upset, which is fairly often.  We already had 3 cats, 2 of which are old and a large 5 year old male.  We also have a small dog.  All cats are fixed and healthy.  I have had cats for over forty years with few behavioral problems along the way. 

It's four months later and she still must be kept separated in her safe room.  We have tried the introduction process based on lots of reading and videos and think we have hit many of the marks as far as how to do it but apparently we have somehow failed.  On the four or five times she has gotten by us she is immediately on top of one of the other cats in a fur flying, sometimes blood letting fury.  I have watched videos of cats who don't get along but nothing like this.  Let's just say I don't think they are going to work it out.  If I didn't know better I'd say she hates all cats.  Strangely, she gets along with the dog.  I have a double stacked baby gate setup so she can get out of the small office when my wife and I are home, however she has just learned how to climb over.  This leads to major cat problems.  Does anyone use a motion sensitive device of some sort to keep their cat away from a door or other opening?  I hate to leave her in a 12 x 12 room all the time but am running out of options.  We have a special pheromone collar, feliway spray and 3 diffusers but things are still volatile.  I guess medication could be in order but would consider that a last resort.  Any ideas?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It does sound as if this girl is very likely not ever going to cohabitate with other cats, especially since she gets on fine with the dog. Some cats are just like that.

How does she act when confined to her room? Does she scratch and holler to get out or does she seem fairly content?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
4 months isn't all that long when it comes to introductions - especially with a cat who's had to fend for herself for a time. It's not unheard of for the whole process to take a year where difficult personalities are involved. I really wouldn't give up yet.

Have you tried Feliway multicat or Felifriend in addition to original Feliway? Feliway original is based off a calming pheromone, but Felifriend is based off a different pheromone that promotes confidence. Feliway multicat combines the two.

It sounds to me like your girl is still really unsettled and insecure. She can't hope to accept the other cats until she can stop seeing them as a threat. Felifriend could help this process.

Composure is also definitely worth a try. It's a calming supplements that can make a huge difference. Flower essences are also worth investigating. Spirit Essences are pre blended, so are probably the easiest option.

Don't forget about other de stressing tactics - something as simple as daily interactive playtime can help release stress, build territorial confidence and increase trust and bonding with you.

I'll add links to some of our relavent articles, just in case there's anything you've not seen before. Hang in there. Patience really is key in these situations.[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="32390"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dun14ham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the great advice!  I really am happy to have found this site.  Will keep you updated. 

scrappyscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a problem like this for a short time with a cat intro. At first our muffin was getting bullied by the other cats. Our problem was that muffin was always acting like prey. The others would challenge, and he would shrink down and try to hide or run away. we had success with the collar but instead of using it on the other cats, we used it on muffin. His confidence grew and he started sticking up for himself and in a few months, there was no more bullying him. Now they are the best of friends, inseparable even, and none of them need the collar anymore. I am not sure if it was the collar or just time, but it worked out in the end. Other than the collar we did not interviene much, just let them sort out their differences. I have never had a cat intro where they liked each other right away. It is almost as if they have to establish their place in the household in some sort of process we may not understand.. And they say cats are not pack animals. Muffin was our only one that seemed to need help with finding his place. Good luck