Monge The Special Cat

Kimchi&Wasabi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you guys given your kitten/cat the Monge, The Special Cat Dry Food with Chicken and Turkey Flavor? Is it a good dry food? I do have two kittens, Kim Chi and Wasabi and are both 3 months old.

Thank you very much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ingredients: Cereals, meat and meat by-products (of which fresh chicken min. 8%, fresh turkey min. 8%), oils and fats (salmon oil .5%), vegetables, fish and fish by-product, minerals, yeasts (mannan oligosaccharides MOPS 500mg/kg), F.O.S. (Fructooligosaccharides) 500mg/kg. Yucca Sachidigera 1,000 mg/kg.

I wouldn't go with that food. Cats are obligated carnivores and do best on a high meat diet. This food has "cereals" listed first which could be any mix of grain based product. They also don't have any named meat which means there could be anything in the meat portion. I am also not seeing any Taurine with is a key amino acid that cats need to function properly. While the food might innately have enough already it is rare not to see it added in and makes me very nervous that it doesn't since the list of ingredients doesn't seem high enough quality to provide enough. Too little taurine can lead to blindness, among other problems.

Given that they are kittens you ideal food is going to be a wet food without grains and either specifically labeled for kittens or with a high protein and fat content. Once they are adults you would want a slightly lower fat content. Ideally you want a named meat as the first ingredient. You don't want to see cereals, grain, rice, corn, wheat, maize, or any variation within the first 5 or, better, at all. Potatoes or peas are a lesser evil but in general cats don't process carbs well and they can contribute to weight gain and health problems.