Monday's Question Of The Day - July 9, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Running today so I'll be brief!

City, Suburbs or Country? What is your preference?

Personally I prefer living in the country; but not so remote that I can't get to the store if I need something. I dream about having more space than I do now; but I don't know that I want to give up the proximity factor. I like the dark skies at night. The relative quiet compared to living in town. The open spaces and the wildlife!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Country, hands down. I come from London and was born in the city centre but now live in the suburbs (where I've spent most of my life) but I feel most at home in the countryside, and always have done. When I was little I dreamed of living on a farm and I always feel so much more comfortable in the country. I'd love to own a little cottage in the fields somewhere in Kent some day!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a suburb girl through and through. I like living close enough to the cities that I can enjoy its amenities, but it's a little more homey out here (and we have plenty of restaurants and shops where I live anyway). I don't like being too far out in the middle of nowhere - it's nice for a vacation, but not to live.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suburbs. I grew up in the suburbs, my parents recently moved to the country and while it's nice, I don't think I could do it full-time. Suburbs are close enough to activity, but I also feel like people aren't all up in my business like it would feel in a city.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the country, but would love to move to a city and be near everything.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like the best of both, i.e. a cottage or cabin in the country and an apartment in the city. I grew up in a big city and don't like to be too far away. It's where I feel most comfortable.:wink: Although I like the peace and tranquility of the country, I savor the city with all it's museums, galleries, theater and unique shops.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lived in the city for most my life...hated it.
I now live on 40 acres in the country. Although the closest small town is 30 minutes away, I wouldn't change it.
That sounds really nice! I don't think I need 40 acres unless a good bit is wooded. I feel peaceful walking through the woods. But I need open areas to get sunshine to my gardens too. And cut down the mosquitoes!
I'd love to own a little cottage in the fields somewhere in Kent some day!
That sounds really nice! Maybe DH and I can make something like that our retirement dream. :thumbsup:
I'm a suburb girl through and through. I like living close enough to the cities that I can enjoy its amenities, but it's a little more homey out here (and we have plenty of restaurants and shops where I live anyway). I don't like being too far out in the middle of nowhere - it's nice for a vacation, but not to live.
DH says he wants to live at the top of a mountain when we retire. Like where we could just be snowed in all winter long. I'm a homebody. I like my privacy. Leaving home too much drains me. But to be stuck at home!? Nope. Not going for it! :headshake:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Running today so I'll be brief!

City, Suburbs or Country? What is your preference?

Personally I prefer living in the country; but not so remote that I can't get to the store if I need something. I dream about having more space than I do now; but I don't know that I want to give up the proximity factor. I like the dark skies at night. The relative quiet compared to living in town. The open spaces and the wildlife!
:clap::salam::clap2: :yeah:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly what a suburb is. I lived in a town an hour from here for about 5 years. I was within walking distance of Walmart, grocery stores, restaurants, and all the bars/dance clubs. But I wouldn't exactly call it a city. Maybe that was a suburb? There was no mall.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to visit my family in the country but would not want to live there. They are 25 minutes from grocery and a WalMart and an hour from anything else. I live in the burbs. It is relatively quiet but I am 10 minutes from grocery store bank and anything else. I grew up in a VERY small town and always hated it. I am more at home in the city although the traffic is a pain But I like the convenience of not having to plan shopping all in 1 trip.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to visit my family in the country but would not want to live there. They are 25 minutes from grocery and a WalMart and an hour from anything else. I live in the burbs. It is relatively quiet but I am 10 minutes from grocery store bank and anything else. I grew up in a VERY small town and always hated it. I am more at home in the city although the traffic is a pain But I like the convenience of not having to plan shopping all in 1 trip.
That's the bad thing.
I lived in the city for less than a year. I knew it was temporary and did not love the constant noise/traffic and having neighbors houses so close I could glance out the window and see what they were having for dinner.
But the convenience is there. A trip to the store was a 15 minute there and back deal vs. taking 3/4 of the entire day. Restaurants were close by. Lots of thing to do, and there was always something going on somewhere. And taking a walk in the city is still something I do kind of miss!
The biggest thing that freaks me out about living out here is vet care isn't a 5 minute "emergency has arose" trip. When the weather is bad and snowy, this really, REALLY bugs me as getting them to a vet when time is essential can be impossible.
Once getting a sick pet to an emergency style vet on recommendation of our usual vet was a (get this) 6 hour round trip during a horrible snow storm. Not cool.
But then again, I go outside and hear bugs in the evening and birds during the day and our dogs barking sometimes and wildlife, and I do love that.
Edit: When I lived in the city I had two amazing neighbors that have both since passed on. But they were great people and I was so happy to have known them and called them "neighbor."
I know a lot of folks don't have that luck, and our neighbors out here are not exactly close by but they're super awesome and definitely deserve a hats off. We help each other out.

Last edited:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's the bad thing.
I lived in the city for less than a year. I knew it was temporary and did not love the constant noise/traffic and having neighbors houses so close I could glance out the window and see what they were having for dinner.
But the convenience is there. A trip to the store was a 15 minute there and back deal vs. taking 3/4 of the entire day. Restaurants were close by. Lots of thing to do, and there was always something going on somewhere. And taking a walk in the city is still something I do kind of miss!
The biggest thing that freaks me out about living out here is vet care isn't a 5 minute "emergency has arose" trip. When the weather is bad and snowy, this really, REALLY bugs me as getting them to a vet when time is essential can be impossible.
Once getting a sick pet to an emergency style vet on recommendation of our usual vet was a (get this) 6 hour round trip during a horrible snow storm. Not cool.
But then again, I go outside and hear bugs in the evening and birds during the day and our dogs barking sometimes and wildlife, and I do love that.
Edit: When I lived in the city I had two amazing neighbors that have both since passed on. But they were great people and I was so happy to have known them and called them "neighbor."
I know a lot of folks don't have that luck, and our neighbors out here are not exactly close by but they're super awesome and definitely deserve a hats off. We help each other out.
Having s vet close is great. Mine is 20 minutes away and was 24/7 for a while. Now it is 7 to 10 I think. And only 80 for a walk in plus treatment. I have been going there 30 years.
I am on the side and back of a condo community. In the morning I almost need earplugs, the birds are so loud. And there is no traffic by my unit.
There are good and bad either city or country. Neither is better,just different. It depends on what is most important For me I like the convenience Also the hospital is 4 miles and all my doctors are only 15 minutes or less from home or work which is great.