Monday's Question Of The Day - January 22, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm staring at a huge pile of laundry to be folded today. So that's my question inspiration! :paperbag:

Do you prefer to line/air dry your laundry or use a dryer?

I prefer the dryer; if only it didn't shrink things.:scale: Towels, sheets, socks and undies must be done in the dryer.:cloud9: Most of my clothing is air dried in the bathroom though. Our 2nd bathroom has only a shower stall and our kids are still too young for that. So we have a drying rack set up in the stall and a bunch of hangers on the curtain rod. My kids' clothing gets put in the dryer. But DH and I end up air drying most of ours. I don't know what I'm going to do when the kids are big enough to use their bathroom shower. :rolleyes:

At least it saves us some electricity. But things just aren't as soft

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Outside line. I love to see the clothes blowing in the wind although I've had no choice but to use the dryer the last couple of weeks, we've had rain nearly every day. Roll on the warm dry weather.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dry everything that goes in the closet on hangers, on a clothes rack in my laundry room. Everything else goes in the dryer. Bath mats get air dried hung over the shower door rod, on the outside of door.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the dryer for most things. I have some sweaters and tops that I use a rack to air dry. I also air dry bras.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighborhood Nazi association doesn't allow clotheslines, even if they can't be seen from the front. Line-dried clothes smell so fresh! We have lines in the attached garage we use for clothes. Underwear, bed linen, etc., go into the dryer.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would prefer to air-dry everything, if I could. We have clothesline at the back end of the property, but I can no longer lift a heavy basket of wet laundry and get it up to the clothesline (about 25 years ago, 4 blown disks in my lower back stopped really heavy lifting). But I love the smell of air-dried clothing and I really love to crawl into a bed that's been made with sheets and blankets that have spent the afternoon out on the clothesline. It just smells so good to me.

Rick keeps saying that he'd like to move the clothesline down closer to the house, but the poles are cemented a good three feet into the ground; a tornado won't get those things out.

We have the dryer (just bought a new dryer last year, when the old one bit the dust) in the basement, so that's what I use. But I'd really rather hang clothes outside.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the dryer on most, much softer and I refuse to iron. In the summer I line dry all my sheets and T-shirts, sometimes jeans since they take so long. But I put the jeans in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up, and to get rid of the cat hair!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up with my mom hanging clothes outside except in winter. There's nothing like freshly dried clothes as V verna davies noted blowing gently in the wind. So to follow mom's tradition, I use the dryer in winter but still hang many of my clothes on a line in the summer.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do miss the smell and feel of outside line dried clothes~ brings me back to my childhood; and a great way to dry really bulky things.

I use my dryer for 98% of my clothes. I do hang dry my tops, on hangers, in the spare room. The dryer does shrink them. I also have a dryer rack which I occasionally use, if there are a lot of shirts.

I would love to not use the dryer on my bras (elastic) but.... I am not going to hang them around the extra room.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use the dryer. This question got me to think back about my childhood.
My mom had one of the old wringer washers. She collected rainwater in huge barrels and bucket by bucket fill that washer, then wring the clothes through the rollers, then hang them to dry. She worked so hard! Makes me ashamed that I still have a load of laundry sitting in the dryer from 2 days ago!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a dryer (Broke down some years ago and removed, procrastinating into getting a new one. Plus expensive and all that) So I hang my stuff outside on the clothesline outside for three seasons and hang stuff inside on the little laundry holdy thingy inside during the winter.

For sure I'd like a dryer again some day, but the clothing smells nice, not too difficult to do, and it saves a buttload on energy in my bill :lol: so I'm not in a massive rush. I'm sure once I do have one again though at my disposal I'll appreciate it wholeheartedly too.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clothes dryer with lavender dryer sheets. And I use dryer sheets in the truck to keep everything smelling....um....more acceptable.

But cat hair on my clean clothes doesn't bother me one little bit. Makes me happy.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a clothes line that I use for towels and sheets, but for most of my drying I use a metal rack that I put outside in the sun. If I put the clothes out in the early morning, it is mostly dry by sunset in the winter. In the summer it's not a problem. If not totally dry, I bring them inside and drape them over room doors, cabinet doors and the metal racks I have in the kitchen. The clothes are not as soft as using a dryer, but I really like the nice job of exfoliation that the air-dried towels do, and I love the fresh smell, especially sheets. :thumbsup: