Monday's Question Of The Day - April 16, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad inspired this week's question with a discussion he was having about the fastest he has ever gone and in what. :rolleyes: He's a classic muscle car kind of guy so they were having a lively discussion. Then I told him the fastest I've ever gone has technically been in an airplane. He didn't laugh. :p :lol: A friend of mine also sent some pictures from her skydiving experience. Nooo thank you! :running:

What is the most "extreme" thing you've done?

I'm not really into those dangerous kind of things. :lol: I think the most extreme thing I've done was on a hike where the "trail" went around rock cliff corner. It was only maybe a foot wide and dropped off over a river. It wasn't a huge step; to get around it. But at the same time I'm not sure I'd want to try it with little kids. At the end of the trail was a nice waterfall and pool it looked like you could swim in in nice weather.

When DH and I got back from the hike his sister asked about where we'd been. Then said "Oh. That's where so-and-so died." :eek2: I think the poor guys accident was at the waterfall; but still.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I had think about it. The most extreme thing I can remember is going about 3 days without sleep. Not doing that again. The reason I had done it was because I had a few sick bottle kittens that needed round the clock care. Sadly they didn't make it but I had tried my very best. I sure hope they knew that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can’t think of anything extreme I’ve done. Maybe floating down rivers in inner tubes when I was a kid. There were some low level rapid type points where you’d get tipped over and a few waterfalls that would suck you under if you went over wrong. But we are talking drops under two or three feet. Got a few bruises doing that when I hit a rock wrong or didn’t move quick enough.

My brother is the daredevil of the family. He’s been sky diving (he’s actually never been in a plane when it landed, because his only plane experiences are skydiving related). He also was a participant on wipeout. Has played paintball from a young age including in semi-professional stock tournaments (his team got invited to an international tournament in Hawaii and somewhere one asia). Rides a motorcycle most days. And his wedding was on a roller coaster (the vows were roller coaster themed). My uncle raced motor cross before it was a thing in the 60s/70s and my aunt was a playboy bunny. My mom literally ran away and joined a circus. Plus she did the whole parking your car on the side of the road and hiking/camping for a few days in the middle of nowhere several times in the 70s.

Yeah, I am the boring one.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am definitely not a risk-taker, so I haven't ever done anything extreme. The most illegal things I've done are drinking under age and speeding and pretty much everyone has done at least one of those. Something extreme in a different sense that I did do was as a kid I didn't talk for 7 years (except to my parents and siblings). :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
years ago, i drove cross country, Washington, DC suburbs to Los Angeles, for a new job. the drive took me three days, the fourth day was just an hour or so going into LA. i drove straight through, only catching little naps here and there in my vehicle at rest stops.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
160+mph in a '66 Corvette my dad let me drive sometimes in high school back in the 80's. Only did it once because me and a friend who was with me started thinking what would've happened if someone or something got out in front of us.

I told my dad about it. He just grinned. I think I waited a few more years to mention it to my mom. lol

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hiking in the Canadian Rockies for field work... 20+km (or 12.4+ miles) each day on the mountains, just me and a partner equipped with bear spray, an emergency horn, a walkie talkie, and pocket knives. Had to cross some pretty treacherous terrain and huge rivers, and ran into a couple wild animals including big horn sheep and a family of black bears (thankfully no mountain lions!). Some times the sides of the mountains were so steep, we had to jump from tree to tree to make it up. All in the name of science!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I rappelled, neither of us had done it before. We read up on it, got the right ropes, tied the safest knots we could find complete with a safety line, got hooked up and backed off a 100 foot cliff. I used to be afraid of heights, but that experience and some others have taken care of that problem. :yess:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a rock climber, so I get some pretty extreme situations even when I'm harnessed up. But a more notable extreme situation would be when I had to do a 2 km run without a water bottle and hot weather... it was still fun.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a coward, too. I like safe things.

I did sleep in a bivouac on a tiny island off the coast of Antarctica once. And I had to pee in a plastic barrel. It was perfectly safe, but some might consider it extreme.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing gets the adrenaline pumping like having a completely zoned out, out-of-control motorcycle student who is frozenly cranking the throttle wide open while headed right at you with target fixation. Any way you jump is going to be wrong.

However, riding with a cop during a drug bust is pretty exciting, and even more terrifying is being in a cop car (as a passenger) roaring down a major street at 110 mph with lights and siren going full tilt and not having people get out of the way. And although he was supposed to, my officer wasn't even wearing his safety belt. You can bet I was!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
hmmm in 1997 took race car class in PA. Got to go 160+ mph in a race car as a passenger-that was the most awesome experience!!! My partner at the time was grinning ear to ear at the end-he drove the car, I rode in another one-I could have driven but since I failed the standard driving part of cars I felt more comfortable if someone more experienced drove. I told him punch it. Don't be a whimp. And boy did he punch that throttle-we got up to 160 in no time at all-I screamed when we went to the first corner, the second corner I held on fast-by the third banking- I said GO FASTER DAM IT! and yeah 8 times around the 1 mile track was pretty amazing.

So when we ride on the highway going 80-85 is not scary at all to me. I always loved fast cars and fast motorcycles. My dad used to take me on his 1000 cc Suziki bike growing up..we would go 90 down the straight away=I always said faster!!! We never EVER told Mom!!!

She would have had a bird. Sorry mom but hey a kid has to have a few secrets.

So yeah I am a speed demon-rarely scared. Only time I am scared is freezing rain or slushy snow..rest of it is a piece of cake.

There's a reason I haven't bought a motorcycle-we don't have enough wide open roads and too many bad drivers out there-when I move to the country in the next few years you bet your butt I am getting a nice machine to rock around those mountains and country roads in the south east- I want to do the Dragon in NC. I hear it's really awesome riding. For now I will stick to my pedal bike..that's enough for now. :evilgrin:

Oh just remembered something-my big sis used to take me on her dirt bike...I was 4-5-6? And she set me on the gas tank-I held on to the wires :paranoid: And there was this trail in our area that had a rock sticking out of the ground and a huge puddle-she used to launch off the rock and we went sailing up and over the puddle-I was VERY scared but I thought it was so cool. I thought my sis rocked. :cool: And she used to do fun stuff with me all the time-she's 10 years older- I used to sled down the steepest iciest hills I could find=so I could go fast-there were trees at the bottom but you learned to roll off the sled just before... funny how when I learned to ski in my late 20s I was petrified of going fast-still am- so yeah on skis I don't like to go too fast but in a vehicle it's different..go figure. :running:

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! I forgot. When we were kids my Mom let us hold onto the hood of the car and she’d drive down the street. Looking back it was incredibly dangerous but at the time it was fun. She was probably crawling along but I remember holding on and her jerking the steering wheel side to side as if to shake us off. Obviously weakly enough that it didn’t do anything.

We’d also sit in the tailgate, with our feet brushing the pavement, and she’d do the same. Or lay in the bed of her truck and she’d drive around and weave back and forth down streets. Then we’d have to guess where she stopped the truck based on the movement and what we could see looking up.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riding a carriage in the Sahara desert - it doesn't sound too extreme but it was crazy! It was an old carriage so there were no health and safety hacks, and the driver was going incredibly fast across dusty sand - not proper roads.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Went on a plane ride with a friend. It was a small plane with only two seats. It was a rough bumpy ride and the only time I ever have been in the air. My first and last.