Mommy spayed - her baby is hissing at her!!!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had Maggie spayed today. When she got home, I let her out of her crate, and her baby, Lady, came to sniff her out and started hissing! She's been spitting at her, hissing, and even swatted in her direction a little. She seems to be pretty upset about her. Why??? Lady is her baby, why would she hiss and spit at her own mother? It seems like Maggie is sad that her baby is acting that way. They were a loving and affectionate pair until I took her to get her spayed, now Lady doesn't seem to recognize her mother. Help!!!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perfectly normal right now mom doesn't smell like mom she smells of where she's been in a few days once the smell goes away lady will start to stop hissing

Happened with my two sooty didn't understand why flash didn't smell like herself he did everything you said, I to panicked

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the previous poster mentioned, it's perfectly normal since the mom cat smells differently. Once mom smells like everyone else, the hissing and such should stop.

heatherdunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like others said, it's definitely the smell. Think of all the weird smells that she got on her from not only going out to a strange place, but also undergoing surgery (any chemicals, etc). She also might be producing a slightly different scent now that she's been spayed.

The kitten should get used to it, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the quick replies. I was hoping that's what it was. I actually put my face lightly on Maggie when I was loving on her and encouraging her, and I could smell the clinic smells on her... and I have lousy human senses. I know cats' senses are greater. I am trying to pet both girls a lot so that the scents get mixed together. Hopefully tonight things will get better because tomorrow I have to be gone from 9:30-5!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use pure vanilla extract- not imitation. Put several drops on each cat- under their chin and at the base of their tail. Do this several times a day and this will neutralize all the stress pheremones mom picked up on her fur at the vet. Don't expect the two cats to be buddies the rest of their lives. Mom may soon be growling and hissing at Lady in an attempt to drive her off (if these are strays and not pedigree cats) This is perfectly natural as well-