momma quit using litter box?

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our momma cat came to us as a pregnant outside stray. We brought her in the house about a month ago and she used the litter box like a champ. Now, 4 days ago she decided to completely quit using her litter box. It was always kept clean, so not sure why she quit using it. We found where she was going potty in the basement (on an old towel?!?). We cleaned it all up, and have now locked her in my daughters room where her kittens are (normally door is open so she can come snuggle with us whenever she wants). Any suggestions on how to get her to start using the litter box again?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is her poo healthy or its diarrheatic?   Cats with diarrhea - or other problmes like constipation -  quite often dont use the litter properly.

Otherwise, I would advice to try with Kitten Attract litter.  Dr Elseys is the most renown, but there are surely others.  You dont need to fill the whole  box, it may be enough with just the outer layer of the litter.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdurkee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response! Her poo is a little soft sometimes, but always formed. I will check out local pet supply after work and see if I can find that litter. Thanks soo much!