Momma Kitty Unfortunately, Pregnant Again, And Rejecting One Of The Kittens From Her Old Litter

Tkpowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, This might be a long post but I want to try and give you all the information.

We have a kitty who we found as a stray when it was a baby. She is now 2. She had a litter of kittens the first week of April. All but 1 kitten was adopted to friends of the family. Around 8 weeks after the kittens were born, my boyfriend’s son let the momma out and unfortunately she is now pregnant again. I am sorry to say that I did not realize she was pregnant again till last week. I already have plans to get her and her babies fixed 8 weeks after birth through a program called Mom’s Last Litter.

My question or concern at this time is, just recently, as of yesterday, momma kitty will not let the boy kitten from her last litter anywhere near her. Last week she would still let him breast feed, which was weird to me but I am not a cat. But she hisses and attacks him anytime he gets near her. It’s sad because they were always together and laying together and she was still very protective of him around the dogs. I do not understand why she wants nothing to do with him now. There is plenty of food for them. But since I am the main caretaker for them they both follow me around, in addition to my dog, almost everywhere I go when I am home, and so the baby kitty keeps trying to get close to his mom and the mom is not having it.

I do not want the mom to feel she has lost her security with me and the house, but I don’t want the baby to feel left out either. I want him to feel he is loved and is safe at home too. I know cats do not have the same feelings we do exactly but I can tell a difference in each of them since this has been happening.

Any advice would be much appreciated and any explanation to why this is happening too. Thank you all for your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat is nearing the end of her pregnancy and is now treating her older kitten as a predator (for now), as her hormones are forcing her into protective mode towards her unborn litter.

It’s instinctive and not uncommon.

Your little guy is probably bewildered but will be okay. Go ahead and get him neutered now before his testosterone begins to kick in.

You’ll need to give mom a space away from her older kitten and the dog to deliver in and raise her kittens the first 3-4 weeks.

Mom and her older son will still be friends down the road. She’s just gearing up for the next litter right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tkpowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The boy has an appointment to get fixed next week. I am making up a space for her to give birth that is high enough away from the dog. I do not know how to keep the boy away though. Momma kitty does not mind the dog though, they are still friends and she does not attack him and they lay together in the room on the bed and stuff still.

Tkpowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and thank you for the response!

Tkpowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The boy has an appointment to get fixed next week. I am making up a space for her to give birth that is high enough away from the dog. I do not know how to keep the boy away though. Momma kitty does not mind the dog though, they are still friends and she does not attack him and they lay together in the room on the bed and stuff still.
The dog is a girl. I called her a him. Trying to keep all the sexes right

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you close mom in room with her new litter, and as she prepares to give birth?

She needs space. It’s not safe to raise the nest up, because babies could fall out.