Momma cat won’t stop being so stingy with babies food!

MikaMomma27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have come to love a stray that a mother cat left outside my porch and brought her into my home. She was pregnant and now lives in my room with her babies. She is a wonderful first time mother but she is constantly eating her babies food and now the babies aren’t eating as much. I even at times give her a portion of thier food in her bowl so she can have some but ignores it entirely. I know she grew up a stray for at least the first 6 months of her life so she’s used to the scavenging lifestyle. But I’m concerned now because the kittens are not eating as much as she is and not nursing as much as they hit 10 weeks. Just want maybe some pointers or some food suggestion would be wonderful. Thank you so much everyone!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and bless you for rescuing that precious kitty family! You can make kitten sized holes in a box and put their dishes in that while leaving some kitten food adjacent outside the box, for mama kitty. It should be the same food as hers, anyway, since pregnant & nursing moms of all species have very similar nutritional requirements as their babies. Her body has grown those little bodies by giving up calcium and other nutrients to her little ones. Please keep us updated & remember - we TCSers love pictures :camera: :runningcat::climbcat::dizzycat::bigeyes::catrub:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with catsknowme catsknowme - it is OK, and actually preferred, for mama cat to eat the same food as the kittens for now. It could stop her from trying to hoard their food if she knows she is getting the exact same food as they are all the time. She could use the extra nutrition and she obviously finds their food preferable - and perhaps more satisfying/filling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikaMomma27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!
so today I’ve fed them separately and momma cat (pepper) as well in same room but now they still will not eat and one has thrown up :( I’ve scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so I will continue to update but they are still drinking lots of water and I’m hoping for the best from a vet . Keep the kittens in your prayers. I will update tomorrow after the appointment!
Added a photo of the lil family !
EEAE0320-01AF-4534-9D57-8726306A066A.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikaMomma27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What are you feeding the kittens?
Fancy feast kitten wet food and a dry royal canin food mixture
Momma cat eats that as well and I try to give her more dry food as well.
so far she only eats the wet food if it’s in the kitten area.