Momma Cat Has 9 Babies

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwwww their little pinky legs and paws are sooooo sweet! Thank you for posting another photo! Please post as many as you're able, they are so adorable xxx

Were you there at the birth? Our girl Mia is pregnant, due in around a week, I'm worried she might not rip open the little sacs they come out in! I saw a video on YouTube of a cat giving birth and she was so consumed with licking and cleaning the first one she had given birth to the 2nd and it was just sat there in its sac for a few mins. I guess it's still connected to the placenta with the umbilical cord even when out?? Until momma rips it off and open? Thinking by the 8th your momma would've been so busy cleaning them all up!!

How long did it take her to give birth to so many kittens?! Poor thing having to push that many out!

Although if each one is smaller as there's so many of them maybe it's easier for momma cat then?! Our vet said don't give momma too much kitten food and KMR now as the kittens might grow loads and she might struggle to push them out! We had an ultrasound done and she thinks we have 4 or 5 so I guess they could grow more if they're less cramped in there!

Well, I really hope things continue to go well xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwww their little pinky legs and paws are sooooo sweet! Thank you for posting another photo! Please post as many as you're able, they are so adorable xxx

Were you there at the birth? Our girl Mia is pregnant, due in around a week, I'm worried she might not rip open the little sacs they come out in! I saw a video on YouTube of a cat giving birth and she was so consumed with licking and cleaning the first one she had given birth to the 2nd and it was just sat there in its sac for a few mins. I guess it's still connected to the placenta with the umbilical cord even when out?? Until momma rips it off and open? Thinking by the 8th your momma would've been so busy cleaning them all up!!

How long did it take her to give birth to so many kittens?! Poor thing having to push that many out!

Although if each one is smaller as there's so many of them maybe it's easier for momma cat then?! Our vet said don't give momma too much kitten food and KMR now as the kittens might grow loads and she might struggle to push them out! We had an ultrasound done and she thinks we have 4 or 5 so I guess they could grow more if they're less cramped in there!

Well, I really hope things continue to go well xx
I got home just in time. She was under a rocking chair. Her first litter and the poor little girl was confused. I picked her up and put her in her box with one baby half out. I put her face down so she could smell or see and she took over. She was great with the rest. When I went to bed at 1:00am I thought she was done. She seemed to be relaxed. I change her to a dry clean box and moved 7 babies. Next morning I gave her a clean box again and moved 9 babies. She had 2 more some time overnight. All were clean and healthy.

I wish you well with your litter. Your momma will probably know just what she needs to do.

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are officially one week old. Their weights are increasing but I am concerned about #4. She is still so tiny. Only one time have I gotten her to take the bottle and boy is she vocal about her objection to it. From the 6th to the 7th she only gained 5g- I was glad to see she she did 11g today. Should I leave her with mom more or try to feed her more often?

1. June 6: 137g--June 7: 153g--June 8: 166g - +29g- Birth: 80g
2. June 6: 130g--June 7: 145g--June 8: 150g - +20g- Birth: 73g
3. June 6: 143g--June 7: 157g--June 8: 168g - +15g- Birth: 87g
4. June 6: 120g--June 7: 125g--June 8: 136g - +16g- Birth: 63g
5. June 6: 121g--June 7: 137g--June 8: 147g - +26g- Birth: 74g
6. June 6: 143g--June 7: 137g--June 8: 166g - +23g- Birth: 81g
7. June 6: 140g--June 7: 151g--June 8: 164g - +24g- Birth: 82g
8. June 6: 130g--June 7: 140g--June 8: 153g - +23g- Birth: 74g
9. June 6: 134g--June 7: 150g--June 8: 156g - +22g- Birth: 85g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S Sharon Phil

Kittens at one week old should weigh about 4 ounces. Most kittens double their birth weight by the end of the first week, and weigh a good deal more than these nine, but all of your kittens do weigh at least 4 ounces - including #4.

Kitten 4 is the smallest, and is probably getting pushed off nipples, especially on a day when she only gains 5 grams. She does need supplementing.

When kittens will not take the bottle, you need to use a syringe. You can burrito wrap the kitten in a towel so only the head is out, and put drops in the side of the mouth with the needleless syringe.

Some of the others need to gain more weight too, and it will get harder as they need even more milk than mom can produce as they get bigger. So the supplementing needs to work.

Have you been able to separate the kittens into two groups and rotate them in the evening and on the weekend? This will make a big difference in their quality nursing time with mom.

Overall, they are doing okay, but the next goal is for each to weigh 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks. It's nerve-wracking, because they are not out of the danger zone yet.

I appreciate the weight chart and all of your efforts for these kittens! :)

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 always has amazing advice, so glad they are all gaining, just take it one day at a time, surely when there's that many their starting and each week weights are likely to be lower than a litter of say 3 or 4 kittens. Definitely switch them around in 2 groups, I asked the vet how many nipples do cats have? She didn't seem certain! Maybe it varies cat to cat or breed to breed? Our mia seems to have 6, maybe it's 8, I'll have a proper look when she's very sleepy! Either way for your litter that's always one kitten not able to feed so having 2 groups when you're home sounds great xxx

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S Sharon Phil

Kittens at one week old should weigh about 4 ounces. Most kittens double their birth weight by the end of the first week, and weigh a good deal more than these nine, but all of your kittens do weigh at least 4 ounces - including #4.

Kitten 4 is the smallest, and is probably getting pushed off nipples, especially on a day when she only gains 5 grams. She does need supplementing.

When kittens will not take the bottle, you need to use a syringe. You can burrito wrap the kitten in a towel so only the head is out, and put drops in the side of the mouth with the needleless syringe.

Some of the others need to gain more weight too, and it will get harder as they need even more milk than mom can produce as they get bigger. So the supplementing needs to work.

Have you been able to separate the kittens into two groups and rotate them in the evening and on the weekend? This will make a big difference in their quality nursing time with mom.

Overall, they are doing okay, but the next goal is for each to weigh 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks. It's nerve-wracking, because they are not out of the danger zone yet.

I appreciate the weight chart and all of your efforts for these kittens! :)
I have separated them in the 4 smallest and 5 larger so they all have some good momma time. I keep them separated about 2 hours and try feeding them twice in that 2 hour time. I will try the taco wrap and syringe with the little one and make sure I get more into her. Trying to get 2 feeding times for each group each day. Heading onward for 8 oz babies!

Thank you for your great advice.

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The babies are doing great on their gaining. They are taking to the bottle even the little one. The problem today is that momma is getting very anxious when I take a group of babies. Today she was in the process of moving them to another room when I came back with the first bunch. She is trying to move them even though they are all back with her. Should I leave them in the same room and just try feeding them with her there? She is still anxious when I am holding one and wants me to put it back down with her. Not sure what would be the best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try leaving them in the same room and feeding them with her there, and see how that goes.

It's good they are all taking the bottle. They must be hungry! :)

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have started feeding them in the room with momma. She is accepting that ok. She moved them 3 times. I ended up putting a box exactly like the one they were in literally right next to her first box. She moved them to the other box and was happy. If momma is happy, I am happy!
They are all over 200g-their eyes are opening-little ears are popping up. Just adorable!
1-219g
2-213g
3-220g
4-204g
5-201g
6-212g
7-221g
8-204g
9-219g

I think they will make the 8 oz mark by the time they are 2 weeks old on Thursday. Yay!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is awesome! I'm glad the extra box pleased mama, and that she is okay with you feeding them in the same room.

The weights are really coming along nicely!

Great job! :hyper:

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL that's so funny, that you put a box exactly like the other box, right next to the first box and she likes that one more LOL cats are so silly! That's amazing they are all so healthy and growing well!! Thank you for the new photo!! They are so sweet and adorable xxx Thank you for all you are doing to help this cat family. xxx

Sharon Phil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All babies are doing so good. I had to get a larger container for them and momma. All reached the 8 ounce mark by 2 weeks. They can hear now and beginning to play a little.

Their weights as of today-16 days old
1: 266g
2: 260g
3: 261g
4: 264g
5: 241g
6: 262g
7: 260g
8: 242g
9: 270g

I have been feeding them 4 times a day and making sure the 2 smallest ones get as much as they will take. They both seem fine but not gaining like the others.

Really glad for all the help here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are awesome! They would not be thriving like this without the supplementing that you are doing. Nice job! :)