Momma cat & fleas... O' my!

kitkat90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sophie of course is a nursing Mommy. She has a few flea's that I have noticed and I don't want them to populate and then suck the kittens and her dry. Especially since she needs her strength to feed the babies. So what I was wondering is what products/ remedies could I use for a nursing mommy Cat that won't hurt the babies that can nip this flea incident in the butt before it becomes a problem? I am already in the process of making a cedar chip filled bed which fleas are said to hate. Since I know these young of kittens can't have frontline or anything. Any advice will be Highly appreciated!

KitKat

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All you can really do for the kittens is to flea comb them every day. This would also work for the mama cat. I think you can use Advantage on a nursing mother, as long as you keep her away from the kittens until it's dry. But I can't guarantee that. . .best to call your vet to ask for advice. For now, frequent flea combing is your best option.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use Frontline or Advantage on your nursing mother cat. Just put it up high on the back of her neck/head so she can't lick it off. I would check with you vet first because I want you to get the go ahead from your vet. but I know other people who have used it on nursing cats. You want to get rid of the fleas quickly and safely. Not good for the babies, those fleas!!! You can also use Revolution which is a wormer as well, but it does not kill tapeworms which you cat could have from ingesting fleas. Again, talk with your vet on this..... good luck with those kittens

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use Revolution on the mother cat. But you would need a vet to prescribe Revolution Kitten for the babies.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
had no mother cat just abandoned kittens who the lowest weight was 5ounces and my vet dosed revolution based on each kittens weight. Worked like a charm!