Momma Cat + 8 Foster Kittens (help!)

zeilde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short: I've got 8 twenty-day-old kittens that are pooping an extremely rancid, bright yellow, runny liquid poop all over themselves and each other. I took them to the vet this morning and am currently deep cleaning their room while I wait for the verdict. I don't know how to keep everyone clean -- any advice?

Long story: I'm a first-time kitten foster that picked up a litter of 8 kittens with momma from the humane society last week. They were approximately 10 days old when I got them (04/10), and only a few had both eyes open. Everyone was doing great for the first few days. Starting Monday, I noticed yellow spots in their bedding, which I figured was just from momma still stimulating them to use the bathroom. The next day, I woke up to find a lot of these spots, and a lot of kittens coated in a very foul-smelling yellow, liquidy poop. I've been in contact with the humane society since I first noticed the spots, and they do not seem very concerned, but the situation has gotten much, much worse, to the point where I'm washing their behinds 3-4 times a day (and my washing machine is running nonstop to clean all the bedding!). They're moving around on their own pretty well now and climbing in and out of their cat bed, but none of them seem even remotely interested in the litter box and prefer to just poop on the move and then walk all over their siblings to make sure everyone is fully coated. :cringe: Momma cat is stressed when they soil themselves, and I can't seem to keep up with it.

I finally convinced the HS to let me drop off momma and babies at their clinic to check them over, as I'm convinced something is very wrong for it to be this messy and foul. I used to volunteer very regularly at a shelter and have never seen such a mess. I will need to pick them up as soon as I get the call, and I just don't know what to expect. I'm disinfecting the entire room right now but I'm afraid it's just going to be a poopy mess as soon as I bring them back in. How can I keep everyone clean? Is there something I'm missing here? I feel like I'm being overly dramatic about the whole thing, but I'm so worried for their health and also going crazy from all the poo! :help:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its prob coccidia. Its not always it shows on tests. Albon is the commonly prescribed.

While you wait for vet, begin to give them pedialyte or other salt compensator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeilde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its prob coccidia. Its not always it shows on tests. Albon is the commonly prescribed.

While you wait for vet, begin to give them pedialyte or other salt compensator.
Thank you! I'm praying they give me something for these poor babies. They made me leave them at the clinic in a carrier with momma around 11:00, and I called an hour ago and they still hadn't had time to look at them yet. :( I know they're super busy, I just worry so much for these little guys. Will let you know what I find out. Meanwhile...flashback to when they were clean. :angel3:

zeilde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...all the tests came back negative and nobody is dehydrated (yay!), but the vet still gave them all another dewormer and sent me home with a Metronidazole medication to give them each twice daily (she's assuming it's coccidia, as you said!). Hopefully this will make everyone feel better soon.

Any suggestions for ways to keep them all clean while I wait for the medication to do it's job? The only way I'm currently able to get the poo out of their fur is by washing them with a little water and baby shampoo, but I don't want to keep doing that because it stresses everyone out. Damp paper towels and pet wipes don't seem to be doing anything at all...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the kittens, but instead of washing the bedding you could get puppy pads, so you could just throw them away. The mom and the babies are so pretty. I hope they are better soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue to wash them with a warm, damp cloth. It’s definitely coccidia. If the metronidazole does not work, Albon will.

Keep us posted. Poor kittens!

zeilde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know about the kittens, but instead of washing the bedding you could get puppy pads, so you could just throw them away. The mom and the babies are so pretty. I hope they are better soon.
Oh yes, puppy pads have been everywhere while I try to keep them clean! Unfortunately their little claws get stuck in the fabric and pull them all over the place sometimes, so it ends up making even more of a mess. :dizzy: I'm resigned to the house smelling like kitten poop for the next week, I'm afraid.

Continue to wash them with a warm, damp cloth. It’s definitely coccidia. If the metronidazole does not work, Albon will.

Keep us posted. Poor kittens!
I'm not sure what the vet gave them at the clinic -- she mentioned another dewormer as well as "a treatment that should help kick the parasite," but she didn't tell me the name of it and I didn't even think to ask. She did say that if things don't seem to resolve themselves in a week, I'd need to bring them back for another treatment. Could that be the Albon?

Otherwise -- good news! The amount of diarrhea already seems to be lessening, thank goodness. :worship: Everybody hates the metronidazole, but they're taking it like little champs anyway. I was even able to bathe momma cat last night and we both made it out alive! She was COVERED in poop after traveling in the carrier with all the babies, and she would just sit and cry at the door. She seemed to settle down a lot more after a leg, tail, and belly bath and actually started grooming herself and feeding the kittens again. :clap2: This is also super great news because they've mostly been either losing a tiny bit of weight or stagnating in weight gain since this whole thing started. Hopefully keeping the diarrhea at bay will get their weights back up again! They're all feeding like crazy so the low weights aren't from loss of appetite.

Thank you guys for your support! I've felt super alone in this and having nine lives on my hands (plus trying to keep my own cat from getting infected!) has had me so anxious. :redheartpump: So glad I came across this site.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such good news! It sounds like the metronidazole is working! Yay! :)