Mom wants to adopt pregnant cat

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

My mom lost the family kitty in the fall/winter (she was 16 years old and did well, despite having some real IBS).  She was pondering what she wanted to do about getting another cat (she has bouts of extensive traveling, so she is waiting for a time when she will be home for a while).  

She said she would love to take in a pregnant cat.  As a mother of four, I think she is drawn to helping out mama cats :-)  That way, she can enjoy the tiny kittens in the short term, get the mama spayed, and then have a calmer, older cat in the long term. Knowing her, I think she would be really great at caring for a cat that is expecting.   

She lives in a pretty nice area that does not have feral or stray animals wandering around, so I doubt she will just happen across a pregnant kitty. 

She has a question, though: if she helps out a rescue by taking in and caring for a pregnant kitty, does she have to place the kittens herself, or does someone from the organization usually do it?  Also, does she have to pay for all of the kitten vet bills, or does the rescue organizations help with that too?

Should she approach a rescue, or should she just go talk to, say, the vet to see if any expectant cats need a home?  How did you come across your pregnant kitties? 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The details depend on the particular organization. She should call all the rescue places in the area to ask about how they do it. Contacting the vet would also be a fine choice. Or she can check the ads (wherever people place ads for unwanted pets in your area) to see if anyone is trying to place an unspayed female (even if they don't say so outright, any unspayed female who's been outdoors will probably be pregnant or nursing right about now).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a nice plan your mom has!   If she makes sure there is a good caretaker / cat sitter, she can prob continue with her travels, at least shorter ones.   I mean, she has probably someone who do minds her house when she is away?  Perhaps the same person can look after the cat?

To your question, Willowy has given a good answer, I think.

The comment about "new home for unspayed female" is interestning, and I suspect - accurate.   :(

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are all nice suggestions. 

Anyway, if anyone comes across the pregnant kitty that needs a home in Maryland (I am not located there but she is), please let me know. 

Last edited:

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I think this is great! I know mama cats generally don't get adopted, or not as quickly as her kitties. So find out if a shelter close to your mom has a pregnant cat and adopt her. Tell them you will foster the kittens until they find their forever homes :)

I would imagine that the shelter would be happy to cover for all the kitties expenses since, they will be after all property of the shelter (until they find their home) and not your moms. 

Last edited:

zookeeper93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a lovely gesture. Good luck to your mom and a mama cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my mom in touch with a delightful small rescue.  I have to say a lot of the rescues I called were not particularly helpful at all, but once I found a small place it was great!  She may help out a little this summer with a momma cat, but otherwise she will look into adopting in the fall.  

I worried my mom was going to be mad that I just got the people to call her, but she seemed pretty excited (she has had a rough year and has been in a bit of a rut).