Mom crying for adopted kittens

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually foster orphaned kittens so this has never been an issue before, but this time I have a mom and her 5 kittens. The kittens are about 9 weeks old and two were just adopted. Mom is crying, looking for them, and it's breaking my heart.

How long until she accepts they're gone? I'm sure it varies from cat to cat, but how has it been in other people's experience?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most folks try to keep the kittens with their mama for at least 12 weeks, somewhat to avoid this and also enable the kittens time to properly learn from their mom.

As you said, I am sure how long it takes a mother to get over losing her kittens depends on each individual cat. So, you will just have to give her extra attention and whatever you do, don't adopt out the others any time soon. She will eventually get to the point that she will be happy to have all of them gone, especially if she has not been spayed yet, as her instinct will be to prepare for another litter.

Look for other issues to make sure she isn't crying for some other reason, such as some health related problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most folks try to keep the kittens with their mama for at least 12 weeks, somewhat to avoid this and also enable the kittens time to properly learn from their mom.
I've been fostering for a few years now and I've learnt this is so, so important. I can see 8 week old kittens aren't ready to be taken from their families and everything they know, and how much of a difference in emotional security and independence even a few more weeks can make.

Unfortunately, on the other hand, people want to adopt tiny, adorable little babies. There's this small window when kittens get snatched up for adoption, but once that passes, adoptions slow to a crawl. At some point the kittens have to go back to the shelter, and if they aren't tiny and cute, they can end up waiting months and months, until eventually they join the adult cats.

I HATE letting the tiny ones go, but if the alternative is them growing up in the shelter ... At least our shelter never adopts out kittens under 8 weeks, which I've seen others do 😔