Mom cat with URI and preemie newborn

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat surrendered to my local shelter started showing snuffles symptoms over the weekend (we've had a major outbreak recently) and was immediately put on antibiotics.

Sometime between Monday evening and early Tuesday morning, she gave birth to a single, tiny kitten. He was 66g when I got him on a scale last night (Tuesday night).

At first mom had no idea what to do with baby and was leaving him alone, letting him get cold. So I brought her home with me. She hasn't stepped foot out of the carrier since and stays curled up with baby.

He's now staying warm, suckling and sleeping. He's up to 69g (it's been less than 24 hours so I'm not too worried yet). Mom hasn't been cleaning him, but she's very congested, so I've been helping with that.

With him being premature, and mom being ill, I know his chances aren't great, so I'm trying to do what I can while staying realistic.

It's also possible mom still has more kittens baking in the oven. I just found a bit of blood spotted on her bedding and she's licked herself a down below a few times today. Not sure if that's post-birth discharge, or a sign that more are coming.

I've only fostered orphaned kittens before, never a mom/pregnant cat so this is very new for me. Would love to hear from anyone who's experienced anything similar.

Any tips/stories/encouragement are most welcome.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some DMG coming for her cold. It is a supplement for keeping the immune system built up and has worked well for my cats, the only thing that has worked. a bottle lasts a long time and you can get it online at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. smell is very important to acts, especially in recognizing and bonding with their little ones. all the luck! PS weigh little one twice daily fro nwo and make sure he is growing. You may have to supplement. Bless you for giving both of them a chance! StefanZ StefanZ and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 are experts. I hope they can help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you need to supplement, watch this:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Thank you for bringing them home! Is mom eating and drinking?
Thanks, I've syringe fed before, but the smallest (survivor) was 120g. Baby is just 70g and feels so so fragile I'm scared of handling him. Plus mom gets agitated when he cries.

I think I may have heard some clicking in baby's breathing when I just checked on them 😔 I guess it was inevitable that he'd get snuffles, but I wanted to hope for him.

Mom has scarfed down some wet food when I put it under her nose. I just saw evidence she finally came out of the carrier and used the litterbox. There's food and water in her room, but I don't know if she's had any yet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks, I've syringe fed before, but the smallest (survivor) was 120g. Baby is just 70g and feels so so fragile I'm scared of handling him. Plus mom gets agitated when he cries.

I think I may have heard some clicking in baby's breathing when I just checked on them 😔 I guess it was inevitable that he'd get snuffles, but I wanted to hope for him.

Mom has scarfed down some wet food when I put it under her nose. I just saw evidence she finally came out of the carrier and used the litterbox. There's food and water in her room, but I don't know if she's had any yet.
Clicking is always alarming in a hand feed kitten, but we had forumites where it didnt happened nothing especial.
So, sometimes clicking isnt dangerous nor even real pneumonia...

Our standard advice for possible / probable pneumonia is to rush to a vet, and get immediately quick working antibiotica.
But I have noticed many vets refuse to do anything in this situation, saying the kitten is too little do do anything...

70 grammes is little, but if the kitten isnt very apparent a preeemie, it should be possible to manage it. Even if some extra work necessary.

We have had example of saved kittens from 50 grammes. Someone even told hers war 48.... But these needs the outmost care 24 / 7 of course.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, momma may be done, or she may have more. Sometimes they come even a couple of days apart, esp if the first was a preemie.
Normally its just to wait and see. Watch alike a hawk of course, but as long momma is good no visible problems, its just to stay calm but observant.

Do you have possible an IR heating lamp? Such are often useful, not least so the kitten wont be chilled off while you handfeed.

Also, if you can get glucose sugar proper, it its useful in many situations. Better than white caro syrup which is used by rescuers in USA - because glucose sugar / dextrose is difficult to get on open market in USA. but vets have it, and probably bakers too, as glucose sugar is often an ingredient among other, in bakery products.
I mention this, because you seem to often help orphaned kittens. :)

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, anything to humidify the air, it really helps!
Unfortunately not. I've been placing a mug of steaming hot water in the carrier with her twice a day, and covering the opening with a blanket, but it doesn't really seem to help.

Mom seems slightly better. She at least isn't struggling to breathe, but she's still very snuffly.

Good news, though! Baby gained another 10g overnight! He's now 91g! He weighs more than a sachet of wet food!

Just praying he doesn't get snuffles 🙏🙏🙏

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things going? Is mom any better? What antibiotics have they had her on? I’m concerned for her.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going? Is mom any better? What antibiotics have they had her on? I’m concerned for her.
Mom is on doxycycline. She seems about the same, health-wise.

But she's at least finally coming out of the nest for a few minutes to eat and say hello. I've been feeding her in her nest, but was worried about her getting enough to eat and drink, so this is a relief.

She still hasn't pooped at all since she arrived with me on Tuesday. Vet didn't seem too concerned when I asked her about it yesterday, but I'm a worry wart.

Baby is doing well. He's now 103g and visibly plumping up.

No sign of more kittens. I guess he's an only child 🤷‍♀️

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ZERO weight gain for baby in the last 24 hours.

He's been gaining a steady 10g per day til now so I'm hoping this is just a normal fluctuation, but at what point do I step in?

Mom gets very anxious and comes to fetch baby when I take him from the nest to weigh him, and my scale is only 10cm from the nest door. It takes under 2 minutes. I can't see her letting me have him long enough to try syringe feed him.

On the plus side, mom's URI seems to be clearing up. She's doing much better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not up to mom. It’s up to you to syringe feed if baby is not gaining. You can put a dish of formula down for mom to drink and feed baby right next to her, or you can go in another room. However, a one day no-gain may be a blip, but if it continues it’s not good.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet. Baby's fate is still uncertain.

Baby was born with kind of googly eyes, but I didn't think much of it til yesterday, when I noticed his eyelids were bulging like a goldfish's.

Took him to the vet and she stuck a needle in his eyelid (😱😵💀) and drained 0.5ml of clear fluid.

Now we have to wait and see how his eyes look when they open. If they're damaged, Baby will likely be PTS.

So I will be on Stressed Helicopter Mom Eye Watch for the foreseeable (pun unintended) future.

It’s not up to mom. It’s up to you to syringe feed if baby is not gaining.
Mom is definitely in charge 😅 Of course, I'll do whatever has to be done, but it's easier if mom is on board.

I tried syringe feeding baby yesterday and she was fine as long as he didn't cry. I may have to take over feeding for now, because he's lost 2g (plus half a gram in eye fluid 😭)

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby is dying.

Since the vet visit yesterday, he's been going downhill. I've been syringe feeding him, but this morning at his 5am feed he wouldn't swallow. He became very limp and twitchy, so I put honey on his gums and made sure he was warm.

Mom has stopped caring for him. She obviously knows it's time. Baby is still hanging on by a thread, but I feel guilty and that I'm just prolonging his suffering by keeping him going.