Mom cat keeps peeing on her kittens

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I have a young mom cat, this is her first litter and mom is around 8-10 months old. The pregnancy was not planned by any means and if it could have been avoided I would have. Anyways, she has 4 kittens that she takes care of well but, she pees on them. Idk if its on them or shes just peeing in the kennel they lay in but the blanket is wet and I have to change it a lot. I looked it up and cant find any reason for it, do you think she has a bladder issue or is it behavioral? I dont want to take her to the vet right now because shes already stressed enough caring for 3-day old kittens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is the kennel big enough to house a small litter box? If not, then she is going when and where she can. You need to be changing out the blankets at least daily anyway, but if she doesn't have access to a litter box, give her one. If she already has access to a litter box, give her a few more days to settle in and see if she starts using it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, she may need more space, and she needs to be let out of the kennel for periods of time as well. I’m thinking some of this is from stress.

What size is the kennel?

Do you have a room you can put her in with the nest being a box so she’s not so closed up?

How many cats and kittens do you have?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, its most probably a question of arranging things.
A tip: IF she does like you, and will accept you as her co-parent (many cats do, and even demand); sit down with her childs, so she will have the peace of mind to go aside to relieve herself....
Because many a good young momma are sitting the WHOLE time with her childs, nervously keeping them company and watching...

Another idea, is she is unsure on things by some reason, and is spreading her scent over her kittens, just to be on the safe side...
This variant is NOT the usual, but theoretically could happen, I suppose.

So, again, its a question of feeling safe and comfortable....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, sorry for not being clear. It is an open kennel that she can enter and exit anytime. I just have them in a kennel to give her a safe space. I raised her since she was a kitten and she trusts me, she purrs when I pet her while she is feeding the kittens and she is fine with me handling them to replace the blankets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also uses the litter box that is available to her. The room she is in with the kittens she shares with her 2 sisters that she has been with since birth, do you think they are bothering her? They dont go near her kittens and they are very nice to her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is using the litter box as well, just keep an eye on her. She just may feel over protective at times. She might be a bit suspicious, so to speak, about the other cats nearby - but only you could tell that if the other cats are not present when she uses the litter box, but are present when she doesn't. I am surprised the other cats aren't more curious - and, maybe that is happening when you are not there to see it. It sounds like you have a good group of cats that are being very mindful of what they think you want. But, that doesn't stop the drive to 'snoop' when they think they can!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, she may feel protective and not want to leave her babies to pee in the box. Just continue to observe.

If it continues, she may need a vet check for a urinary tract infection (UTI). These can occur and need treating easily with clavamox.

Do you see her straining to pee or peeing tiny amounts frequently? These are signs of a UTI.

Do keep us posted!