Mom cat getting scratched raw. Help.

Nyx176

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom cat had a large litter about a week ago and they fight over nipple space. They've left her lower abdomen very tender and a little raw. I've tried multiple local sources, Google, and the library. I can't afford to run to the vets office for another couple of weeks.
Is there any advice for helping relieve her pain and heal until I can get to the vet? I have trimmed the kittens' claws, but I am leery about trimming too close and they are quite a lively bunch.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to bottle feed a couple of them? A large litter may not have enough breasts to nurse them all.

Use KMR and a small nipple like mirical nipple. Or srynge.

Rotate the bottle and those on the breast.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens?

You must keep the tips of their claws trimmed, even if it means someone holding each kitten while you trim, and trim as often as necessary while they are still nursing mom.

Agree that you must apply bag balm or coconut oil to mom’s belly, mammary areas, and nipples several times a day to help with healing her raw skin. If it gets infected she will need oral antibiotics. Bag balm and coconut oil are both non-toxic to the kittens.

Agree also that rotating the kittens in 2 groups — the biggest few in one group and the smaller others in the second group — will lessen the fighting for nipples that gets mom so scratched up. Rotate every 2 hours during the day, but leave them all together overnight.

Are you weighing the kittens? Are all gaining daily? Depending on weights and the size of the litter, they may not each be getting enough milk and may be frantic to eat. You may need to supplement the kittens 2-3 times a day for awhile if so.

And finally, please set an appointment for mom to be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Do not let her outside until after she is spayed, and if you have an intact male cat in the house, keep him away from her 100%.

Please respond with answers to my questions so that we can provide more assistance.

N Nyx176

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nyx176

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. 9 kittens.
2. I am trimming the nails.
3. Bag balm is a wonderful idea, as I am allergic to coconut oil.
4. They are all gaining appropriate amounts daily, I have been monitoring them closely.
5. Mom and kittens will be spayed and neutered ASAP. We rescued her pregnant or she would have already been spayed.
6. Unfortunately I work a split shift every day so there are 2 5 hour periods that I am not home daily. Do you think rotating them every two hours at night and keeping them together during the day would work?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
9 kittens — WOW!

Could you share weights?

Yes, rotating them whenever you can will allow all 9 kittens to eat well from mom without fighting. On your days off, you can rotate more often, but do keep the kittens who are not with mom warm in a separate nest.

Feed mom as much wet food as she wants, with dry food and fresh water available 24/7. She needs all she can get to feed 9 kittens until they wean.

Thank you for rescuing mom! Kittens are best neutered at 12-16 weeks in the U.S., so you have some time there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nyx176

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today they were all around 6 ounces, with two slightly lower and the rest slightly higher, but all gaining pretty evenly.
I don't have days off, unfortunately, but my partner does and can do the rotating on the nights he's home.
Mom cat has access to wet food when myself or my partner are home, dry food when I'm not, and fresh water always.
She didn't really give us a choice on rescuing her, I was sitting in my yard reading and she showed up and curled up on my lap and then followed me inside lol. She's a sweetie.