Mom Cat And Babys

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had her first liter of kittens in the middle of the nite she lost one of them but shes been with them all day. I was at work. I got home and she ran up to me and followed me til i sat down then she was pascing back and forth from me to over by the kittens so i walked near them and had her go lay with them and now she is biting the one kitten and wen i tell her no bad she stops. Can anybody help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? From what you write, Is apparent momma likes you very much. she trusts you, and wanna your company and help.
Its not clear what this biting of kitten is. Got the kitten hurt with that biting? A guess is, she thinks this kitten is sick, and wont make it.
In nature, its common cat mommas dispose of such a kitten, to ensure the surviving kittens has better chances.
You said one kitten didnt make it, so it makes two of them whom is some fault on them?

If the kitten didnt get hurt by the biting, the biting was something else. Perhaps momma though the cord was too long.

OK. If this kitten isnt too sick
My cat just had her first liter of kittens in the middle of the nite she lost one of them but shes been with them all day. I was at work. I got home and she ran up to me and followed me til i sat down then she was pascing back and forth from me to over by the kittens so i walked near them and had her go lay with them and now she is biting the one kitten and wen i tell her no bad she stops. Can anybody help
or too severely wounded, and you want to try to save it and get it to survive, you must probably handraise it. If it survives the first days and gets stronger, with a little luck momma will accept it back into her nest.

Please continue to report and as questions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What for the other kittens, its good to weigh them every day. So you see if they gain properly every day, or if you must help out. Its the easiest way to follow development and notice good or bad changes.

Very experienced caretakers manage without, but a scale and weighting is gold worth for all less experienced.

Use a kitchen or a post scale, best in grammes and best electronical. Borrow one or buy one, there are such not very costly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many living kittens are there?

Some new moms are not sure what to do with kittens at first, but they usually settle down to motherhood after a day or two.

Are the kittens latching and nursing well?

Feed mom lots of wet food now.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many living kittens are there?

Some new moms are not sure what to do with kittens at first, but they usually settle down to motherhood after a day or two.

Are the kittens latching and nursing well?

Feed mom lots of wet food now.

Keep us posted!
Hello sorry it took so long to get back momma cat seems to be doin alright. I put mom an babies in a box beside where i sit and sleep she seems to be ok with it. Her bittin the baby hasnt hurt it yet but she keeps doin it every so often but wen i tell her no stop be nice she stops. Is there a reason she keeps doin this. I havent let anybody or myself touched the babys. Thank you for any and all help

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going? From what you write, Is apparent momma likes you very much. she trusts you, and wanna your company and help.
Its not clear what this biting of kitten is. Got the kitten hurt with that biting? A guess is, she thinks this kitten is sick, and wont make it.
In nature, its common cat mommas dispose of such a kitten, to ensure the surviving kittens has better chances.
You said one kitten didnt make it, so it makes two of them whom is some fault on them?

If the kitten didnt get hurt by the biting, the biting was something else. Perhaps momma though the cord was too long.

OK. If this kitten isnt too sick

or too severely wounded, and you want to try to save it and get it to survive, you must probably handraise it. If it survives the first days and gets stronger, with a little luck momma will accept it back into her nest.

Please continue to report and as questions.
Mom cat seems to be doin well. I left her an babies together and she doesnt seem to be hurtin the kitten wen she bites it but it doesnt seem normal

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is a tremendous force in cats jaw. It she wants to bite for real, you dont need to doubt it was a bite for real. If the kitten didnt got hurt by these biting, it wasnt no real biting.
Im not sure exactly what it was, but if no wounds, no biting.

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a tremendous force in cats jaw. It she wants to bite for real, you dont need to doubt it was a bite for real. If the kitten didnt got hurt by these biting, it wasnt no real biting.
Im not sure exactly what it was, but if no wounds, no biting.
Ok so do you think its something i should worry about?

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry but i got another question about momma cat. She had her litter but i was just pettin her and noticed she has a hard spot in her stomach still it feels like wen she was pregnant. Any idea wat it could be.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, Im saying, whatever she did, it was NOT vicious biting.

Of course,continue to be observant... Both form momma behavior, but also for the kittens, If they threive, if there are no fleas on them...
Weighting them every day is often a good help for this. As you do at the same time a quick look see.
Ok so do you think its something i should worry about?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The most probable its a swollen uterus / vomb. And it may feel alike a kitten is still there.
Its fully normal, and will go over by itself.
As long as she is OK no visible troubles, its just to observe, and calmly wait and see (EVEN if you you do suspect there is a kitten left)
Sorry but i got another question about momma cat. She had her litter but i was just pettin her and noticed she has a hard spot in her stomach still it feels like wen she was pregnant. Any idea wat it could be.

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so i kinda feel dumb askin this but im really nervouse i havent touched the babys i was told she would stop takin care of it.
so its ok for me to check them make sure they are ok an gainin weight?
Also it seems that they are fightin over 2 nipples alot could there be a reason?
Thank You very much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may touch the kittens without fear of mom rejecting them. That’s an old wives’ tale. Just handle them gently in front of mom.

Kittens often fight over nipples before deciding on one and then claiming it as their own.

You can gently move the less dominant kitten to a different nipple.

Jolynn87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You may touch the kittens without fear of mom rejecting them. That’s an old wives’ tale. Just handle them gently in front of mom.

Kittens often fight over nipples before deciding on one and then claiming it as their own.

You can gently move the less dominant kitten to a different nipple.
Ok thank you