Moistening Dry Food?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If the food is clean and the water is clean, where would dangerous bacteria be coming from?
From the cat's saliva. Moistening dry food is fine if the food won't be left out for more than half an hour. Any longer than then the bacteira in the saliva may start to grow and multiply if the conditions are just right.

lizwins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@ socksy: You are making perfect sense. Controlling for bacteria is obviously essential, but hydrating dry food is hydration, no matter how you cut it. The fluid (water, meat stock, whatever) you add to the food is ingested by the cat. It's just biophysics. I would like to know more about how to control bacterial growth. Say, if dry food is mixed with meat juices and some ground organic organ meat and then portions stored in the freezer, to be thawed before each feeding, would that not impede bacterial growth?

sportylilpaws1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not try this at all. once dry food gets wet it grow bacteria that can really harm your kitty!

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you help compute for a 1 tsp dry food how much water should I add to get the 78% moisture? My cat is eating this a minute once I give it to him. I put water it on it it's soupy and my cat will drink the water first and eat the dry. It doesn't water how much water I put he still likes it. I just want to ask about the ratio

angelangelv2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't mean to bump a thread from 5 years ago but holy cow... there have been some really priceless 'facts' and 'opinions' being thrown around in here...

I wanted to type out a nice reply but almost everything I wanted to say has been covered by other users in the last several pages of this thread.

To summarise:

1. Bacteria doesn't magically grow to dangerous concentrations in the matter of minutes that it takes to add water and soak the kibble to when your cat finishes it.

2. Always practise good food hygiene when handling your cat's food, as if you were preparing your own meal.

3. Always clear uneaten food.

4. Water is water (Yes... water really is just water. H2O is H2O). The gut doesn't know the difference if the water was 'from' the food or 'with' the food.

Otto, not only did you fail to give a relevant reply to the OP's question, they were also riddled with non-facts. It was amazing to witness your mental gymnastics Otto.

To answer the OP:

Will adding water to kibble be beneficial to your cat?

Yes, it will increase the water content significantly but you can't beat the moisture content of canned/moist/wet food.