Mixing wet food brands

utsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone:

A little over a year ago we took in a stray that wouldn't leave our front porch.  She's in good health. I thought I was doing the right thing by feeding her Blue Buffalo kibble.  After reading here it looks like she needs wet food.

I bought her some Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pate.  I live in a small, rural city so I wanted to get Karen some food that would be decent until I can get to a Petco. 

After some research, I'd like to also give her Wellness wet food.  Is it okay to switch between the different types of wet foods? I know that's not a good idea with dry food.

She's slowly accepting the food change.  She probably eats 1/2 can a day of wet food.  I still offer her dry food and probably will continue to offer her dry in addition to wet food.  

Because Karen was a stray I have no idea what her age is.  Her teeth aren't in the best shape.  But overall she's in good health, she's a healthy weight.  Her coat is shiny and she loves to play and be active.  She's spayed and up to date on shots.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is ok to rotate wet foods. I am glad to see you adding Wellness into the mix. It is not a bad food. Personally, I like Natures Variety.

If you want and good, inexpensive grocery store food, then buy some Fancy Feast CLASSICS. Yes, the classics, aka as PATE.. Not the chunks or gravy ones. These are decent foods to add into the rotation or to use in place of the Friskies (kind of yucky in my opinion).. 

Sheba is also a good choice.. 

Cats love Fancy Feast and Sheba. 

You could even try crushing and sprinkling some of the dry food over the wet, in order to get Karen introduced to wet food..

She also needs a Vet appointment, if you have not done so. The Vet can give you a guesstimate as to her age. 

Wet food is better for cats; however the BEST food you can give your cat is the one they will EAT...

Take that into consideration. 

Thank you for taking this baby in and for taking such good care of her..

((hugs))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

utsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. She followed my daughter and I home after an evening walk and never would leave our porch. She was skinny and flea infested. She has a flea allergy and was covered in scabs.

She's strictly indoors now, but stays on flea prevention.

She showed up about a year after my husband unexpectedly passed away. She's helped my daughter and I quite a bit with our grief.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She showed up about a year after my husband unexpectedly passed away. She's helped my daughter and I quite a bit with our grief.
It was fate, you were meant for each other.  I'm sure she will thrive in your care.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. She followed my daughter and I home after an evening walk and never would leave our porch. She was skinny and flea infested. She has a flea allergy and was covered in scabs.

She's strictly indoors now, but stays on flea prevention.

Hi! Welcome to TCS! Karen is a really pretty name for a lovely cat! 

I second everything that @Artiemom  has said. My cats are on a 95% wet food diet. They get a little kibble here and there as a topper to wet food or the occasional snack. 

My cats are picky eaters. Count yourself lucky if Karen is not. I mix canned foods ALL the time. I usually top a pate with a shredded, minced, sliced or cubed type of food. The ones I use for that are the Pride by Instinct, Nutro Natural Choice, Soulistic, Nature's Recipe and Wellness. I try to stay away from the Fancy Feast and Friskies that are not pates but we do use those every now and then for some variety. The pates from FF, Friskies and Sheba are better than the other varieties. 

I am a widow too. I got my girls about 2.5 years after my DH passed away. They definitely helped my DD and I heal. They helped my dog heal as well. She was a daddy's girl and she was devastated by the loss of him.