Mixing Water In Food; Create A Bad Habit?

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a test, I temporarily started mixing water in Mookie's wet food to keep it from drying out. As a secondary benefit, her water intake increased! I also noticed her energy improved.

However, I noticed that when I stopped mixing water in her food, she did not go back to drinking from her water bowl. I figured this was fine because I've read that wet cat food has a lot of the hydration needed. However, I noticed when she pooped last night that it was flaky and very dry. She's also been more lethargic and sends weaker.

Is putting water in her wet food bad? Making her too lazy to drink from her sometimes two water bowls? Unrelated to the poop issue?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if adding water to the food does not turn her off the food, then its fine. She will get the water with the food, and will not use her bowl as much. Just watch that she still eats enough. If i add more than a spoon full of water to my guys wet food they will not eat it.

I would suggest a vet visit for her, if she has not had a good health check lately.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add water to Mingo's food every day. He won't drink water and gets crystals, so I have to make sure he gets enough water to keep from getting crystals.

It seems like Mookie benefits from the added water, so you should probably keep adding it. IDK about the flaky stool - it's the difference in the size of urine clumps that I notice. When Mingo doesn't get enough water, his clumps get very small.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think they are related either. I would add water to the food if she likes it, but it could also be possible that she’s not eating cause she’s sick and it’s not related to the water. Trying adding it back and see if you notice a change in her. If not, check with a vet you trust.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are weird. They will not touch wet food without water mixed in, specifically a 1/2 can of hot water.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with adding water to food! I add extra water to some of our cats' canned foods and use more water in their freeze-dried raw food than the package says because the cats seem to prefer it a little soupier. Most cats who eat only wet foods don't drink from bowls at all -- ours don't seem to, though we do generally leave them out.

Lenox Lenox , between what you mention about Mookie's poop and your thread with the food coma question, I'd definitely suggest bringing her in for a thorough senior cat vet visit sooner rather than later. We found with our previous cat that her health issues changed pretty quickly at around that age.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mixing water in the food is great if your cat likes it. I always mix water into the canned and raw until it's soupy so I know my cat is getting a lot of water. It also seems easier for her to lap up food than bite it with her ever decreasing number of teeth. Like others have said, flaky poop and lethargy warrant a vet visit.