Mixing Raw with dry food

Allyskits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m currently feeding my cats Earthborn Holistic, grain free dry food but I’m interested in getting them on a raw diet, however when I look into it it seems really complicated to get them the right nutrient without using supplements. The country I live in does not have the supplements easily available and to have them shipped from overseas costs a fortune. So I’m wondering if I go half dry food, half raw diet (chicken breast/liver) would that still provide them with the appropriate amount of nutrients?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunatley no, just feeding chicken breast and liver (or having this as 50% of their daily intake) is not nutritionally complete and would result in an unbalanced diet and nutrient deficiency. If you’re unable to do a raw diet why not just increase their canned food and decrease dry food? That in itself will be a huge improvement.

Foods that are not nutritionally complete are considered “treats” and shouldn’t make up more than 10% of a daily diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyskits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured it might be, I used to feed them a local brand of wet food that was decent in quality and within my price range but they suddenly stopped eating it. And I haven’t found another wet food in a similar price and quality range. On top of that one of my cats has Megacolon and since only eating the grain free food he’s actually doing much better to the point I had to reduce his medicine. Since he seems to do so well on grain free food I thought he would probably do even better on a raw diet, but without being able to get those supplements I don’t even know where to start.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured it might be, I used to feed them a local brand of wet food that was decent in quality and within my price range but they suddenly stopped eating it. And I haven’t found another wet food in a similar price and quality range. On top of that one of my cats has Megacolon and since only eating the grain free food he’s actually doing much better to the point I had to reduce his medicine. Since he seems to do so well on grain free food I thought he would probably do even better on a raw diet, but without being able to get those supplements I don’t even know where to start.
I would say any wet food you can give them is better than dry. The main thing for constipation is moisture. I would especially be feeding more wet food if my cat had megacolon.