Mixing clawed and de-clawed?

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far my 3 babies are clawed. The newcomer to our home however, is not. I fear she might be at a disadvantage when I introduce them together, or that she might resort to biting as they get used to each other. Are there any extra precautions I should take? Should I spread out the introductions longer than usual? Im planning for a 2 week process which is what I did last time, and that worked pretty well.
Thanks in advance for any responses

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The intro to the other cats is really up to the new cat , each cat is different . I don't think she has any disadvantage b/c of her being declawed . While the cats with claws have them to use them in case they need it , the declawed cat is biting more , but it don't mean it will be a mean biting cat now . I don't remember now , but I think there is a member here on TCS and got both clawed and declawed cat/s and they are doing fine together . I also think there was a thread about it a while back . Maybe you want to try and look it up , I just don't remember the title of the thread .

flea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never really had a problem mixing normal cats and those that have been declawed. It really IS up to the cats' personality as to how long an intro needs to be done. I never set a standard - just because it works once doesn't mean it will again, and anything longer than necessary is really just a pain to deal with.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, I almost didn't take in two lovely boys who were in need of a new home, because I had a 14-year-old female with all claws, and they, 6-year-olds, were declawed. It wasn't the only reason I hesitated, but it certainly was one of them.

My husband was wiser. He suggested that we might take them on a trial basis, if J (their human) was not able to find a better situation for them, on the understanding that, if they weren't accepted by Shasta, they would go back to J and re-homing would be up to her.

In those days, I had never introduced one cat to another, and didn't know thing one about recommended ways of doing so. What we did was give the boys the run of the basement, and restrict Shasta's access to it -- for something like a week, I think, or a little more. Then, one afternoon, when there was no other agenda to make us want to hurry, we gathered in the family room, removed the barrier, and waited for Shasta to come calling. We didn't wait long.

She came down, sauntered in, there was some posturing and hissing, but nothing alarming. After maybe ten, fifteen minutes of whatever discussion they were having, she turned and went upstairs.

We left the barrier down whenever we were home, but for a few days put it back in place when we were out. We didn't really need to, because there was immediately a line of demarcation at the top of the stairs. Shasta went that far and no farther -- stayed upstairs. Gryphon and Nibs came to the top of the stairs and looked, and scuttled away at the first sign of Shasta. For a few days.

Then Gryph's need to explore got the better of him, and he began venturing further and further, always giving Shasta a wide berth. It took Nibs longer to get brave, but eventually he did. There was never -- and I mean NEVER --any altercation between Shasta and either of the boys. It took a while for her to forgive me for allowing these interlopers into her house, but she did, and eventually they were sharing treats as if they had been together all their lives.

Bottom line (thought I wasn't going to get there, didn't you?
): There's no reason it can't work. However, as others have noted, a lot will depend on how they are introduced, and since cats are such individuals, reponses will vary.

Good luck with your introductions!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but I think there is a member here on TCS and got both clawed and declawed cat/s and they are doing fine together .
That may be me. I have a four-paw declaw and I intro'd a fully clawed cat last Nov. No problems other than the occasional boxing matches and hissy fits. I clip the nails on the clawed cat and she is willing to be the omega cat. My alpha cat is the declawed one. What she lacks in claws she makes up for in her cattitude and teeth!!

It all depends on the personality of the cat. I have another 4-paw declaw that I don't mention much (She lives upstairs with my parents). Her name is Blondie. Blondie lived with a sweet-old lady as an only, much-loved kitten. When she was still under a year old, Blondie went to live with the old woman's daughter who had FOUR cats. All four of her cats beat on poor, sweet, meek Blondie. Blondie was so terrorized by the other cats that the woman turned her into a kill shelter. Her loss. Blondie came to live with me 10 years ago this coming June. I have tried to introduce Blondie to all different personality type cats and ALL ended up attacking Blondie because she runs and hides from them all the time. I gave up trying much to Blondie's relief.

You shouldn't run into any major problems if proper introductions are done.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We threw together 4 clawed cats with a declawed cat and all was fine. I think it just depends on the cats and how well they get along with each other. Don't worry about it yet, just introduce them slowly.

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree, i just depends on the caqts and letting them get used to each other