Mixing Cbd And Prednisolone

Iammumble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat is on Prednisolone for his asthma (that comes and goes) and also some possible inflammation. We are moving 6-7 hours away and will be driving with my cat. We want to help with his stress and hear CBD is great for this. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to be giving him CBD while he's taking Prednisolone (he takes like 1/2 a pill everyday at the moment).

I think eventually I'll move him off Pred and to CBD. The CBD is 100% CBD, no THC at all and is made for pets.

Thank you!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is best practices, and for the health of your cat, to not use any meds or supplements in various combinations unless under the guidance of your vet.

I am not a vet nor an expert in CBD oil, but I have read that use of CBD oil can affect how the liver metabolizes medicines, particularly synthetic ones. I do know that Prednisolone is a synthetic glucocorticoid drug. I myself do not know if CBD oil would interact in a negative way with your cat who is on Prednisolone. Your vet would know best what issues might develop with your own animal's scenario.

Personally, I am not on the CBD-oil-for-pets bandwagon -- but that is just me.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat is on Prednisolone for his asthma (that comes and goes) and also some possible inflammation. We are moving 6-7 hours away and will be driving with my cat. We want to help with his stress and hear CBD is great for this. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to be giving him CBD while he's taking Prednisolone (he takes like 1/2 a pill everyday at the moment).

I think eventually I'll move him off Pred and to CBD. The CBD is 100% CBD, no THC at all and is made for pets.

Thank you!
Sorry for not responding to your question, but have you talked to your vet about inhaler meds for asthma in place of prendisolone? It has hardly any side effects so it could be a good solution.

As for the move, Calming collars worked great on my cats.
Good luck!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't trade Pred for CBD without vet supervision and guidance. I'm not even sure that's a swap that can be made. The research on CBD in pets and in cats specifically is severely lacking. I wouldn't want you trading something that works (pred) for guesswork and possibly snake oil (the non-marijuana CBD market is largely unregulated.) Furthermore, CBD behaves differently at different doses. More is not better. You could put your cat through needless suffering searching for the right dose.

Please consider Rescue Remedy or Feliway over CBD for anxiety because of the possibility of an interaction with pred.

Drugs That May Interact with CBD Oil | Learn More | CBD Oil Review

At the top of the list: Steroids.

Finally, THC in small, non-psychoactive (won't get him high) quantities of 20 times CBD to THC is actually beneficial, and helps CBD do a better job than CBD on its own. If you can source your CBD from a marijuana dispensary, it will be a superior product in potency and purity than anything you would buy online or at a pet supply store. But because you are using steroids, you probably shouldn't be using CBD as well.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't trade Pred for CBD without vet supervision and guidance. I'm not even sure that's a swap that can be made. The research on CBD in pets and in cats specifically is severely lacking. I wouldn't want you trading something that works (pred) for guesswork and possibly snake oil (the non-marijuana CBD market is largely unregulated.) Furthermore, CBD behaves differently at different doses. More is not better. You could put your cat through needless suffering searching for the right dose. ...

Drugs That May Interact with CBD Oil | Learn More | CBD Oil Review
At the top of the list: Steroids.
:yeah: :agree::agree:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be clear, I'm not opposed to CBD for pets if there is no proven alternative, if the proven alternative is somehow problematic, or if your pet can tolerate some experimentation to find the right dose, understanding that it may not work out in the end. CBD is not appropriate for every condition or individual.

I have given CBD to my Krista for nausea and to reduce vomiting because Cerenia interfered with her appetite (the proven alternative was problematic.) I am currently ramping her back on to it for possible arthritis relief because she does not tolerate glucosamine-chondroitin products well at all. It might provide her relief. It might not. But it's being offered in the spirit of "couldn't hurt, might help" rather than, "I really need this to work for her." If it doesn't work, we go back to where we were: nothing or the poop soup caused by Cosequin or GlycoFlex.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 - So as to not follow too much upon the thread derailing (though, in regards to Cerenia, did your vet suggest Anzemet for Krista? it worked for my last cat much better than Cerenia), I'll just say that experimenting with any possible effectiveness of glucosamine-chondroitin products ("couldn't hurt, might help") is a lot safer, probably, than experimenting with CBD products for pets. As you note, I would worry about how unregulated "pet CBD products" generally are.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my CBD from a dispensary. It's a 24:1 ratio. Every bottle lists the total number of mg of THC and CBD as well as the mg per ml. That's lab tested. The oil was also tested for purity with regards to solvents and other contanimants. This is why I recommend sourcing CBD from the marijuana market because all of that testing is the law.

Glucosamine-chondroitin was good for her joints but really bad for her gut and butt. We'll try the CBD first before I put her through that again.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'm sure having proof of certification/ lab testing is the way to go with CBD pet products, if you are going to go that route.

(Again, honestly, I'm not wanting to keep derailing the OP's thread via your discussion of Krista and glucosamine-chondroitin products -- but there are a lot of pets --and humans-- that get no obvious results from using those joints products either. The ortho surgeon I used for repair of my cat's luxating patellas a few years ago scoffed at the idea of gaining any strong benefit from them post-surgery, and he had decades of experience with both large and small animals. But trying the joint products, in my view, is much less potentially harmful for pets than trying CBD products, possible interactions with other meds or whether a pet's liver/kidneys, etc. can handle processing things uppermost in my mind. Much of the results seen for things like CBD oil, joint products, supplements, are mostly anecdotal or immersed in the placebo effect, IMO.)