Mixing cat treats with food to trick him into eating

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was raised on friskies and temptations. He been eating more dry food but yesterday I got him to eat tiki pate by taking a temptation treat and sprinkling it on. Is this going to form a bad habit? I know temptations aren't great but are 2 to 4 temptations a day going to have an effect? Hopefully over time he'll eat the pate without the treat? I don't want to start any new bad habits.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not but I suggest using healthier treats instead such as PureBites or other brands of freeze dried treats instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably not but I suggest using healthier treats instead such as PureBites or other brands of freeze dried treats instead.
I'm going to order some pure bites today. I only had these treats cause the person i adopted him from gave me them. The ingredients are terrible. My goal is to actually slowly pull these out of his food and hope he just eats the pate normally.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a finicky eater and he'll LOVE the food I feed on rotation one day and go insane just seeing the tin, and the next he'll be like "what is this stuff, ew, what are U doing to me hooman?". A few days later, he'll be all over it, me, the counter, until I get it out the can and put it down and he will wolf it down in a matter of seconds.
What I've been doing to not waste food on his "off" days is get a good brand nutritional yeast (flakes) and sprinkle some of that on top when he's on a strike day.
Some days he's disgusted by WHATEVER I put down and I wasted a lot of food this way in the early days of having him.

Ps health problems have been ruled out so he's just finicky and acting all precious some days :rolleyes2: with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast he'll eat though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a finicky eater and he'll LOVE the food I feed on rotation one day and go insane just seeing the tin, and the next he'll be like "what is this stuff, ew, what are U doing to me hooman?". A few days later, he'll be all over it, me, the counter, until I get it out the can and put it down and he will wolf it down in a matter of seconds.
What I've been doing to not waste food on his "off" days is get a good brand nutritional yeast (flakes) and sprinkle some of that on top when he's on a strike day.
Some days he's disgusted by WHATEVER I put down and I wasted a lot of food this way in the early days of having him.

Ps health problems have been ruled out so he's just finicky and acting all precious some days :rolleyes2: with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast he'll eat though.
Nutritional yeast, very interesting. I will give that a try for sure. Yeah I brought my guy to the vet a few days ago and he as healthy as can be. He's just a pain lol. Thanks for the tip.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Exactly what is the nutritional yeast (flakes) and where do you get it?
I have a dozen indoor cats, a few won’t eat anything except dry food. When I give them the wet they might eat a teaspoon and that’s it…The others will eat wet and dry mixed together….i waste a lot of food because they are so picky.
I’m still trying to research for decent wet and dry foods…nerve racking to say the least

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Temptations are addicting so like everyone else suggested,freeze dried treats. I also bought churu tubs to try. I get orijen freeze dried treats at a small pet store. It also helps to warm up her food

Last edited:

**GraciesMama**

New Furmama to Gracelynn
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was raised on friskies and temptations. He been eating more dry food but yesterday I got him to eat tiki pate by taking a temptation treat and sprinkling it on. Is this going to form a bad habit? I know temptations aren't great but are 2 to 4 temptations a day going to have an effect? Hopefully over time he'll eat the pate without the treat? I don't want to start any new bad habits.
I'm no expert but i'd say a fed cat is better than a hungry cat any way.. goodluck and hugs

ContentEar96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always a good idea to transition a kitty to new food slowly. So if they've been eating Friskies just add a little Tiki take away a little Friskies until you only have the new food over the course of a couple weeks. It helps avoid tummy upset and gives him the opportunity to get used to the new taste.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly what is the nutritional yeast (flakes) and where do you get it?
It's a type of yeast similar to what bakers use. It has a sort of nutty or cheesy flavor. Many people sprinkle it on popcorn and other food for the flavor and a bit of nutritional boost.

A health food store should have it. Supermarkets may even sell it. There are different brands. Here's one: