Mixing After Spay When Can They?

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, 3 of my 4 6th month olds we’re spayed/ neutered last Wednesday so 1 week tomorrow. 2 girls and a boy. They have been separated since the surgery. The 2 girls were in early stages of heat per the vet based on their uterus states. And they have been doing little trills/chirps to each other every now and then and rubbing against each other with lots of head buts between them and purrs. It’s not constant but noticeable for sure. Everyone’s incisions look good boy and girls. There sibling is also in with the girls. Shyboy but really not sure of his/her sex since I still can’t handle it (whole other story with it). It has an appointment next wed to get his /her spay/neuter. My suspicions are it’s a girl since it’s small and not following the horny girls around but it definitely is not acting like the in a heat type way. Sorry to get off track but in a nutshell was saying not worried if shyboy is a girl and the boy tries to have his way with her since going for surgery next week anyways. Question is will he try and have his way with the 2 ladies? I know they can’t get pregnant but I don’t want anyone hurt so fresh postop. Sorry for the book here and getting off track but what do you think? Can I put them back together or not? ALSO how long will the girls be in heat? Today is at least day 7. There not paving to get out or extremely restless or yowling just doing the occadional trill/ chirp at each other and following each other at round very affectionately. And only with each other not shyboy that I have seen. Okay I think I made all my points.
Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I think if you can, keep them separate up to the two week mark at least. There was a member who'd had her male cat neutered but he was still able to get one of her kitties pregnant, and her vet told her then that males can be effective up to two weeks after the surgery.

I don't know about the females, --what does your vet say?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since pregnancy isn't an issue I think one week is fine. Keep an eye on them at first to make sure nobody gets too frisky. After 10-14 days they should be almost entirely healed externally so you don't have to worry after that.

I usually don't separate newly spayed/neutered cats at all after the first night (because they're still drunk). It has worked out fine for me and my cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in a nutshell was saying not worried if shyboy is a girl and the boy tries to have his way with her since going for surgery next week anyways.
Based on this comment, the OP isn't worried about that, just the post-op ladies getting hurt.

I'd give them a chance. If he jumps on them you'll have to decide if that's too rough or not, but he probably won't :).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I was thinking that the boy might still be able to get shyboy pregnant if shyboy is actually a girl, but I don't know...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Thanks for the site link to furballsmom! Still separate and trying to stay strong. Considering letting him mix with my other resident cats. They have all been studying each other through my French doors. Minimal hissing. He wants out. What do you guys think?