Mistaking bed for litterbox

BusyIzzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Izzy is about 12 and she's been having issues using my bed as a litter box for a long time. When it first started it was once every couple months. Now it's every day. It's so bad that I can't sleep in my own bed because she pees on me.
I really want to sleep in my bed again, and more importantly, I want to make sure she is happy.
It got significantly worse when I was able to get my other cat back from my ex. She was very happy as a single cat, but they get along decently.
I've run out of ideas, so please help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still must be stressed from the other cat and is marking HER bed (and you) as hers. Make sure you have enough boxes, that may help, and get puppy pee pads and put them on your bed to see if she will go there. They also sell waterproof mattress pads which you could drape over your bed to at least contain it, It can take a year for cats to relax around each other. Make sure you have a good ENZYME cat urine cleaner to completely remove the smell, washing won't do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BusyIzzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She still must be stressed from the other cat and is marking HER bed (and you) as hers. Make sure you have enough boxes, that may help, and get puppy pee pads and put them on your bed to see if she will go there. They also sell waterproof mattress pads which you could drape over your bed to at least contain it, It can take a year for cats to relax around each other. Make sure you have a good ENZYME cat urine cleaner to completely remove the smell, washing won't do it.

I currently have three litter boxes. Two cats. At first I thought the litter boxes were the issue because the ones I had they had to jump into (helps keep litter contained). I've since switched to traditional boxes but she's still having issues.
Definitely need to get an enzyme cleaner though.
Will absolutely try your suggestions!

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy is about 12 and she's been having issues using my bed as a litter box for a long time. When it first started it was once every couple months. Now it's every day. It's so bad that I can't sleep in my own bed because she pees on me.
I really want to sleep in my bed again, and more importantly, I want to make sure she is happy.
It got significantly worse when I was able to get my other cat back from my ex. She was very happy as a single cat, but they get along decently.
I've run out of ideas, so please help!
Hi!
This sounds strange, but it may be anxiety related. My oldest peed on our bed for years until I got a feliway diffuser for the bed room. The second I plugged it in, she stopped. Once I let it run out, she peed again. If you order on amazon, they are so much cheaper than getting one from a pet store.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
This sounds strange, but it may be anxiety related. My oldest peed on our bed for years until I got a feliway diffuser for the bed room. The second I plugged it in, she stopped. Once I let it run out, she peed again. If you order on amazon, they are so much cheaper than getting one from a pet store.
yes sounds like anxiety, cats usually mark as a form of territory claming or anxiety, or if something is upsetting them, the location where they mark is important.

Does all cats have access to your bedroom as and when they choose?
Does the said cat usually hang out in your bedroom, a spot in which they have laid claim to?

Is there anything else you notice about her behaviour, eating habits, grooming, being extra vocal etc?

I would give the room a good wipe down, and forbid the other two cats from entering there for a few days, and only allow her in there and see if she still continues to poo there.