Missy v. Peeps, Round 2

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started out posting about problems between my ladies, Missy and Peeps. At the time, they were really fighting hard.

Since then we have vetted both girls. Aside from Peeps' weight issues which are being slowly, but surely addressed, both have clean bills of health. The house has settled into an uneasy peace, and I think I know what part of our problem is.

Missy and Peeps both enjoy the company of other cats, but in different ways. Missy likes to be in the same area, but she doesn't want physical interaction beyond an occasional sniff or polite little game of paw swipes around the corner of a door. Peeps is a lot more touchy-feely. She was the one who always slept with the other cats and wanted to play rough and tumble wrestling games with them. And when we still had Fritz and Gizmo, as elderly as they were, they'd still more or less indulge her (sleepy cuddles especially, and wrestling to a certain extent), so the pressure was off of Missy who could just hang out and watch which is what she really likes to do.

So, now Peeps tries to make Missy play with her and Missy doesn't like it which is when we wind up with spats. They're no longer fighting, but we gets lots of hissing, growling, shrieking and thumping (at least once a week for the full-on spat with at least one stand-off every day). It sounds like someone is being killed, but since there's no fur flying and no blood (although Missy did manage to snag Peeps' nose once early on when the trouble started and that bled a decent amount), I'm cautiously assuming they're not full fights where one cat is actually trying to harm the other. We try to break them up when we get the chance so they don't escalate into a harm situation.

The thing is that Peeps is an instigator and despite all our efforts to play with her and Missy. I'm afraid that Missy is a far more interesting "toy" than anything else. What other cat toy puffs up like a blowfish and might actually thump you back if you aren't fast?

So, I guess my dilemma is how to try to diffuse the issue a little bit further. I feel bad that Missy is still sort of being picked on, and I feel bad that Peeps isn't getting the cat companionship I think she wants.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are Missy and Peeps? If there is a large difference in their ages, that might make things more tense. For now keep their nails trimmed to lessen the chance of serious injury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Missy a middle-aged 6 or 7. Since she was former feral who adopted us and decided that she would become a housecat, all we have is an estimate. The vet thought she was about 1 when we brought her in the first time.

Peeps is 4 and part Aby.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand how Peeps sees Missy as the ultimate cat toy.  When I brought Sugar and Spice (S&S) home, Sheba was in heaven
Two furry cat toys that grab back.  It took a while, but most of the time I see all three of them playing full-contact follow the leader.  Of course, the "kittens" are now as big as Sheba and initiate the chase-play half the time.

Missy, being a former feral, still has a heightened fight-or-flight instinct.  She may always be that way.

If you can, you might want to get another young adult cat for Peeps to play with. That might make the problem worse, though.

You never said how old Peeps is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peeps is 4.

My husband and I have discussed the possibility of another cat. It would have to be a very special kitty.

Right now, I'm thinking a young adult male who is laid back/confident with plenty of play in him and wouldn't come in and immediately start trying to dominate everyone would be the only possible answer. Or, alternately, a cat with a happy-go-lucky attitude in place of laid-back/confident.

It doesn't help that we have a 2-year-old. Although he is a fairly cat savvy 2-year-old, he's still a 2-year-old, doing all the standard 2-year-old crazy things.

We also thought about re-homing, too. But Missy is not very people friendly and would need someone who really wants a cat who is just content to be around and occasionally on your lap for a quick scratch. Peeps would be easier, but she's less attractive. We also don't know anyone who is looking for a cat at this time, and we'd prefer not to give either of our cats up if we can make it work.

Make that. We don't know anyone who is looking for a cat whom we'd trust to take a cat.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make that. We don't know anyone who is looking for a cat whom we'd trust to take a cat.
Good to see you say that.  It is hard to trust people these days.

Sheba was estimated at 4 when I got her 2 years ago.  She is the alpha cat, but Sugar is beginning to challenge her.