Miss Portia is throwing up

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had two possible reasons, which I'll try to remember to mention. Okay, so I've noticed Portia has thrown up food and occasional 'just liquid' and usually when there's been more of one of the two dry foods in the mix. I have Great Life and Fromm mixed right now. For a week or so, I didn't have them mixed and was alternating between the two bags. I've been low on wet food and money, so I've been giving both of them more dry. She's throwing up on the Great Life stuff.

My initial thinking:

1. Maybe GL is too rich for Portia.

2. maybe JoJo is bullying her like she did with Jack... forcing Portia to rush-eat.

But right now, she's in zero mood to eat anything and whenever she gets up to move around, she throws up liquid.

Just a few minutes ago, another thought occurred to me. We've had grooming issues with her. She mats at the drop of a hat, and is aggressive when I try to groom her. She's been close to drawing blood on me a few times via biting. Could the two issues be connected somehow? As if maybe having the mats, and the consequent pain, be causing other health issues? I know that may seem silly (there's a part of me that even thinks that), but I just wonder. I don't have the money to get her to a groomer to be shaved. her vet would cost even more. But a vet visit would help figure out why she's throwing up as well.

Any thoughts? She does okay with the other foods. Both girls have grown cold to Prowl dehydrated raw... just mixed some up and JoJo ate a little, but walked away, Portia didn't even touch hers. I'm wondering what's going on.

Thanks,

Amanda

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Awww, poor Portia
! I am sorry she is sick...What does the liquid she throws up look like? I would be concerned about her becoming dehydrated, and definitely think a vet visit is needed. If she is so matted it is causing discomfort, maybe you can shave her, if you can't afford grooming. I hope she feels better soon, Maia and I are sending

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the liquid is clear/cloudy-ish... maybe a hint of the color of food.

Morning update: she didn't move much during the night. I put a bowl of water next to her hoping that she'll at least drink. I just put her canned breakfast down, she sniffed at it, but not much interest. There's a part of me that wonders if she got into something on the desk two nights ago. there was some throw-up on my office chair. She's been pretty smart about not eating things she shouldn't. Both girls are. The only non-food thing she goes after are my hands.

With her mats, she rarely shows signs of discomfort. The only time she does is when I'm grooming her, even if I'm not touching the mats. She really hates grooming. I just got a little more off her. She's not being feisty right now, she just gets up and walks away from me. When she's in a really calm mood, she just does that... but it's rare. I'll keep you guys updated. I haven't heard anymore throwing up from her this morning. She's just not eating anything right now. Whatever she's dealing with may be working through her system, or something... I don't know.

Amanda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the Vet when she decided to not eat this morning. she got b-12, sub-Q fluids, and something else to discourage the vomiting.

I got to use one of their grooming tools, a generic Furminator. I got more off that cat in ten minutes then I have all year... maybe she'll now let me groom her more... yeesh. I need a good clipper tool.

So, we'll see how she is. Fingers crossed she doesn't throw up any more. The dry food is getting tossed. No more Great Life. Ever.

Amanda

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So it sounds like the Vet suspected hairballs?  I've heard about the furminator, but never used one.  I use the zoom groom, but none of my cats are long haired. 

Good luck in the future with this. 
for no more mats and no more throwing up!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JoJo gets hairballs, Portia mats. I think she suspected what I first suspected. I couldn't afford the proper tests, so we have to see. Process of elimination. she was throwing up after eating one of the dry foods. So, we're taking that dry food out. Calm her tummy, lower the acid levels.

Amanda

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For Portia.... Good idea about taking away the dry food for now. It could very well be some ingredient in that particular dry food making her throw up after eating that brand. If she is long-haired and has some mats, maybe consider shaving her down and keep her in the lion cut. I try :lol3: to groom all of my cat's once a week. It really helps although time consuming. But I think that will realy help with them ingesting so much hair and developing those terrible hairballs. Much luck :clover: to you, hun :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: