Misdirected Aggression

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the past 3 years, we've fed and loved a feral barn cat who came with our property. She has a deluxe cat house on our long front porch for cold nights, several chairs with cushions for afternoon naps, and we feed her there, too.

We are five weeks into an introduction between our prickly inside cat and a new cat. They had pretty much settled into a bearable routine...both sleeping most of the day, and tense evenings in the same room, but mostly just hissing.

New cat (Calliope) has suddenly noticed Claudia, our porch cat. Claudia has not acted aggressively, but last night Calliope swelled up, huffed, batted at the glass, etc. while watching Claudia. No big deal - windows closed. However, an hour later our resident cat, Tabitha, walked by, and Calliope jumped on her from her couch perch and attacked! The first time she's done anything like this. I was devastated because I've been working SO HARD to get these two to be neutral together, and now Tabitha is more fearful than ever.

I was basically at the end of my rope, but did some research and this seems to be misdirected aggression. Calliope was stimulated by but couldn't get to our outdoor cat, Claudia. She stewed about it for a while and then pounced on the nearest possibility (Tabitha). Okay, deep breath. Maybe there's hope yet. What can I do about this? Claudia LIVES on our front porch and has for years. I don't want to chase her off. Also, I don't want Calliope obsessed with her and attacking Tabitha. So far, I've been shooing them both away from the front windows. My husband suggested some cling film that would block their vision, but I do hate to cover half of the windows - we love to look outside. It seems that the aggression would start up again as soon as we took off the cling film.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a bit of a complicated situation, since Claudia is an outside only cat, and therefore you have no control other when she comes and goes.

I guess the first question is how are things going today between Calliope and Tabitha? Are they back to their "normal" relationship? Or is there still aggression from Calliope. If yes, then you might have to separate them for a bit and restart the introductions.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

And as for the window to Claudia's world, I'm not sure what to suggest, so hopefully other members will have ideas. Maybe try putting Feliway in that room? Some members find it helpful, though others find it does nothing.

BTW, thank you for continuing to care for the feral cat that came with your property. Is she spayed? And have you ever thought of making her a inside cat. Most ferals can adjust to inside living, if given the chance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, cling film or shades is probably the best solution. You can't introduce Calliope to the outside cat, so you cant resolve that tension. Many inside cats react just like this to seeing cats outside. If Calliope was an only cat, then in time she might get used to the sight through the window. However, with redirected aggression in the mix, I just dont see any way to do this, short of bringing the barn cat inside for at least a few weeks after Calliope and your inside cat are getting along well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not great...I kept them separated today but let Calliope out while Tabitha was upstairs sleeping. She snuck upstairs and pounced on her - commence screaming and hiding in terror. I'm so disappointed. I really thought that things were at least on their way to neutral between them, and now Calliope is actively attacking Tabitha, even when she sleeps. The outdoor cat is a true feral - she doesn't want to come in. She grudgingly comes into our garage on freezing nights in the winter - we have a heater and feral shelter set up for her there - but she wants back outside as soon as possible. She has also fought with Tabitha, our resident cat, through the screens. My husband is also allergic to cats - two is the limit indoors. So we can't bring in a third. I just have a terrible sinking feeling about this...we can't block every single window in the house indefinitely, and with this new aggressive behavior, the whole house is in turmoil. All I can do now is try to keep them separated as much as possible, I guess!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, keeping them separated, and starting back at square 1 of the introductions, might be the only way to go. And blocking the window so Claudia can't be seen. Good luck. Keep us posted.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blocking the window isn't a permanent solution. I would work on getting Calliope used to both cats. 5 weeks is not long at all in a cat's world. Calliope will get used to the outside cat but it will take a while. You might try to harness train her and keep her on a leash for a while until the situation dies down. i would recommend getting some Bach Rescue Remedy, and putting it in her food, it really reduces stress. Even if she doesn't act like it, Calliope is stressed being so new. Cats are wonderful at hiding illnesses and feelings. After trying everything under the sun and spending a fortune, it is the only thing that has calmed down my little female who has stress-induced licking. And she has nothing to be stressed about!
Remember also, if this is happening now it most likely will happen every time someone has to go to the vet. I bring all three of my cats in at once so nobody freaks out, and there is only one office visit charge.
This WILL resolve. You are not alone, this has happened a lot with cats. It is just a matter of time, months. do not leave the two unsupervised for now. It may be a good idea to quickly remove Tabitha if Calliope sees Caludia.