mis behavin kitten

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi friends:) i have this almost 6 month old kitten rudy and he is the sweetest thing ever! he’ll cuddle w me follow me wherever i go loves to play and has a lot of energy BUT he loves to jump on counters, eat my plants (safe for pets), play with my blinds and will knock things off the counter. i understand cats are curious creatures by heart and love to look into things but my other two cats have never done it this far. is there anything i can do to lesson these behaviors or even stop them? i’ve tried spray bottle, clapping or like loud noises and redirecting the climbing behavior to the cat tower but nothing is working:/ he’s a sweet baby but he sometimes is driving me crazzyyy

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i feel like he knows what he’s doing isn’t ok because when i come for him w the spray bottle after he’s on the counters he’ll immediately jump off them🙂 so it’s like he’s doing it on purpose hahaha

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First, No spraying. It doesn’t work and can make the cat fearful of you. Make sure you keep no food and nothing of particular interest on the counters. If there is something that attracts them like an open window, keep the shade down until they figure out your rules. They do want to be near you in the kitchen so make sure there is some place they are allowed up on.

Then you will need to pick him up and set him on the floor or an allowed place dozens and dozens of times before he catches on. I used to do a finger snap, “OFF” in my mom voice, and then set them down. After a while a simple finger snap was enough to make them get down and saved me having to get up to chase them off.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please don't spray your cat anymore. 😺 This used to be a way we trained cats, but now we know it just makes them fearful of us.

Please use the advice above and teach him "off" or "down". Be consistent. It takes time.

Try also to give him a yes for every no. If he's trying to climb on things, he likely wants to see out windows or things. Giving him places in those areas that are yes spaces, helps to prevent naughty behaviour. (For ex. Magnus doesn't jump on counters when I cook if I move a chair to the middle of the room so he can watch me cook)

You can also try clicker training with your cat.