Mirtazapine/remeron

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for those who’ve had cats that were helped by Mirtazapine/Remeron, how long did it take to start working and how long did it work for?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've used Mirtazapine on several cats. It usually "kicks in" within 15-20 minutes. You should see some effect within half hour, if it is going to work.

There is a "cycle" to it. First day cat is ravenous, second day, still eats well, third day good till effects trail off.

I have one cat on 1/8 Mirtazapine every 3 days. She has CKD and has been on it over a year and is doing well.

Another cat had cancer. She received 1/4 pill every 6-7 days as needed and was on it about a year.

Other cats with various illnesses affecting appetite were on similar dosages on an as needed basis.

Dosage and frequency varies by cat. Consult your vet.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on Mirtazapine for over a year. The drug kicks in any where from 15-20 mins to an hour. Mine gets 1/3 every 2 days. Yes the drug will make them talk a lot more, seem restless and maybe even sleep more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My moggy took Remeron this evening and hasn't responded (it's now 2.30 am). Does this mean it's not working? Or is he still getting over the effects of eating onions early on Wednesday morning ( it's now Friday morning)? I Did Something Really Stupid

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read your previous post. In my opinion your Moggy's problems go beyond the problem of Wednesday morning, especially since you said he was anorexic for 8 days prior.

Since the Mirtazapine is not kicking in, I would be calling your vet first thing in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I gave the vet a call. Her opinion is that it’ll take a few days for his digestive system to recover after the onion broth episode.
I read your previous post. In my opinion your Moggy's problems go beyond the problem of Wednesday morning, especially since you said he was anorexic for 8 days prior.

Since the Mirtazapine is not kicking in, I would be calling your vet first thing in the morning.

Kiwimom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been on Mirtazapine for over a year. The drug kicks in any where from 15-20 mins to an hour. Mine gets 1/3 every 2 days. Yes the drug will make them talk a lot more, seem restless and maybe even sleep more.
Wh