Mirtazapine : Lower Dose?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers,

It's been a while since I posted. So just a brief run down on Oscar' issues :
Stage 4 Kidney Failure
Currently on Cerenia, Famotidine and 60ml of sub-q fluids every other day.

Yesterday we went to the vets for a little checkup and to get a cyst drained. His sub-q fluids were upped, so it's 60ml every day and he's back on Mirtazapine, but at a lower dose. He is now on 2.5mg instead of 3.75mg, in hopes that it doesn't cause the very agitated meows he was doing. I've heard from quite a few people that even 2.5mg is too much for an appetite stimulant and that he should be at around 1mg-1.5mg.

Has anyone had any luck with lower doses? I'm aware that all cats are different, but would still appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different and you should consult with your vet before changing the dosage.

That out of the way...

I give Krista (8 lbs) 1/8 of a 7.5 mg pill which comes out to just under 1 mg. During her pancreatitis, I would give this every other day. I recently had to give it again and it took so long to take effect that I had to give it every third day. I gave a dose Tues morning last week and it wasn’t until Wedneday night that I got the mirtz affection followed by a healthy appetite.

When Oscar starts to get vocal, he’s having a serotonin rush. He’d probably really appreciate some affection or some play. Or something that tickles his serotonin in the natural way rather than this unnatural surge. Krista likes to be held and stroked and she purrs and trills her head off until that initial rush has passed.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers,

It's been a while since I posted. So just a brief run down on Oscar' issues :
Stage 4 Kidney Failure
Currently on Cerenia, Famotidine and 60ml of sub-q fluids every other day.

Yesterday we went to the vets for a little checkup and to get a cyst drained. His sub-q fluids were upped, so it's 60ml every day and he's back on Mirtazapine, but at a lower dose. He is now on 2.5mg instead of 3.75mg, in hopes that it doesn't cause the very agitated meows he was doing. I've heard from quite a few people that even 2.5mg is too much for an appetite stimulant and that he should be at around 1mg-1.5mg.

Has anyone had any luck with lower doses? I'm aware that all cats are different, but would still appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
My Cat has been on Mirtazapine for 9+ mos. at the 3.75 mg. dose once every 72 hrs., he weighs about 10.75 lbs. At times I will give him half of the 3.75 (about 1.88mg.) every other day if he doesn't eat the entire 3 days. My cat Meows but doesn't get really agitated, maybe restless. He seems to eat just as well at the lower dose every other day but honestly the higher dose works better for him. I don't know about your Vet. but mine quarters a 15mg. tablet for me and they are pretty small. When I cut that in half it really isn't exactly a half dose. I would think that were your cat small that it would need the lower dose.
I will add that when my cat was feeling really bad and wouldn't eat the Vet gave me some Cyproheptadine to give my cat when the Mirtazapine wasn't working well. I gave him one dose and I thought he was gonna die. First he started meowing really loud and pacing, then he just laid on the floor. After a few hours he got better but I will never give him Cyproheptadine unless it is half what the Vet. prescribed. I mentioned it to the Vet. and his comment was "Oh yeah I forgot to mention that it sometimes has those side effects". Hope this all helps and good luck!

miguel99nyc

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I actually had similar issue, my cat Sassy was given last week Mirtazapine 2mg, instructed to give once every 2 days. Shes 11lbs approx. But, I literally gave it to her once and her appetite came back. I thought it was too strong as she was quite vocal 30 min right after...but not pacing around or anything. She kept going into kitchen to eat like every 45 minutes or so...so it does work. But since all it took one pill, I took her off of it since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I meant to reply to the comments, but only saw I had responses two weeks ago and then I kept forgetting to reply.
Oscar passed January 26th. It has been very, VERY difficult, but we know he's pain free now and he can finally rest.