Mirtazapine Gel Experience And Dosage

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I was curious about others' experiences with mirtazapine gel and the dosage you were recommended. My vet had had mine sent from Roadrunner Pharmacy in AZ, and I received two 3ml syringes. The concentration is 37.5mg/ml, and the dosage says to apply a .1ml dose once daily. I was a little surprised that it is to be given daily, since the pill lasts 2-3 days and the few other reports about the gel I've found mention dosing every 2 days. The pharmacy did describe this as a two month supply, so with 30 daily doses per syringe, that would make sense. I just don't want to overdo it.

That said, it did seem to work after the first dose last night, albeit a little slower than the pill. Kitty also didn't seem quite as hungry this morning like she usually would be after a dose, but I can see where the gel might work a bit differently. Plus she had eaten an entire can of FF overnight on top of two yesterday (yay!), so that might have something to do with it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pharmacy does what the Vet tells them to do. So...this question about dosing is really best directed towards your Vet.

I will tell you, however, that we used to get the very same med from the very same pharmacy. We were to give it to our old girl once every 3 days, just like the pills. (you ARE talking the transdermal gel, correct?) She definitely was ready for it by the third day BTW)

THREE cans of FF in one day!!!! That sounds GREAT :clap:Mine never ate that much in a day, not even right after a dosing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response! Yup, this is the transdermal gel/cream that I rub on the hairless part of her ear. I'm expecting a call from the vet, so if I talk to her today, I'll ask. Otherwise, I might just see how the eating goes tonight before I give kitty a second dose so soon and check with the vet tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never did hear from the vet (left the message Wednesday :confused2:), but she's kept on eating well all evening, so I'm going to hold off on the next dose until at least tomorrow to see how she does. I should add, she had her first dose of chlorambucil about 9 hours ago, so I'll be vigilant to see if that causes any nausea/inappetence.