mirtazapine for cats

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read good and bad things about this. It stopped my cats acid reflux. Has anyone else used it?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good stuff. Definitely helped Krista through a few rough patches where eating didn't seem like a priority to her. Every cat is different. But the main thing for Krista was to stick around for her when it kicked in. There's a reason why many call it "meowzapine." I likened it to having her drink spiked. She got some kind of a rush and would meow her head off. But if I held her in my lap, comforted her, stroked her and gave her scritches, she would purr/trill her head off like that was the best thing ever. Like some kind of rush! After about 15-30 minutes, she would settle down and tear into whatever food I had left out for her. I found the pills were more effective than the transdermal gel even if they were harder to give. I never gave it long enough to worry about long-term effects. We used it as a bridge to better times. Whatever was bothering her that put a hole in her appetite had to be addressed anyway. Usually treating whatever that was restored her appetite and removed the need for long-term mirtazapine use.

Last edited:

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve used it on two cats as an appetite stimulant during terminal illness. One had no side effects other than increased hunger and the other meowed constantly and would become agitated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd that he gave it to her for acid reflux if it's an appetite stimulant

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Odd that he gave it to her for acid reflux if it's an appetite stimulant
Im honestly not 100% on the total number of off-label uses for it. It’s actually a human medicine used to treat depression - and a known side effect in humans as well as animals is voracious appetite. So it’s not too surprising if it has another off-label use.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used it numerous times, never as an appetite stimulant but I am not saying that it does not have that possibility. I also believe it is very helpful and would use it again as needed.