Mirtazapine and drowsiness

lueyfufu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like most personal accounts of Mirtazapine side effects I've read about are kitties being extra vocal and wired. But the VCA site's info page about it says the most common side effect is drowsiness.

Have you seen the drowsiness in your kitty?

My boy seems a little more aggressive about food for several hours after a dose, but then he's mostly sleeping or resting after that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally have not seen any drowsiness in Feeby after she takes Mirataz (the transdermal form of Mirtazapine), but with her it is hard to tell as she is lethargic most of the time. I suspect because it is a histamine blocker that it is not surprising it might have a sedative effect at least on some cats. I believe I read this is more common with higher doses.

Perhaps, your cat's dosage needs to be reduced which should help not only with the drowsiness, but the aggression as well. Or you could ask the vet about trying the transdermal version to see if that might have less impact.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also use the transdermal version and have not seen any side effects other than loss of some fur on the ear if used too often. No lethargy or aggressiveness or excess vocalization

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Drowsiness is an extremely common side effect in humans who take it, to the point that it is sometimes used off-label as a sleeping pill.

A common side effect in humans is not necessarily going to be a common side effect in cats - that web page may have been written by someone who didn’t bother checking if it differed by species.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat Domino was on pill form of Mirtazapine he was extremely lethargic and wobbly. I used it only 2 times because of that side effect. My vet said it’s one of the very rare side effects.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat, and how they react to it. Mirtazpine generally increased appetite, increased vocalizations, and vocalizations.
With Artie, I used a pill form of it. He would get so restless, so vocal; that I hated giving it to him. This happened, even at the smallest dosage. I hated giving it to him.

With Geoffrey, it is much different. I am giving him the ointment, transdermal form. It goes on his inner ear flap, once a day.
I find it does help his appetite, does not cause him any increased vocalizations, and seems to calm him a bit. I think it is a good thing for him. Geoffrey is a very emotionally sensitive cat; seeming to be very sensitive to medications.

For what ever reason, I think the transdermal is easier to on them. You can very easily control the amount given.

I wish you luck!!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any drowsiness in Gracie, she's been on the transdermal form for over a year. I really haven't seen any side effects at all.