Mirtaz exposure

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had issues after giving your cat Mirtaz gel? My cat was prescribed this and it’s only day two of treatment, so two applications were given.

I used gloves from work day 1 and first application was fine. Second time I used different gloves, they’re noticeably thinner but still “medical” gloves. My finger felt smoother after using and I thought it’s weird. I washed hands with soap multiple times. I ate dinner 15 minutes prior and was full, couldn’t finish the meal. Less than an hour after giving the gel I am starving as if I never ate. Uncontrollable hunger. It’s torture like this for the rest of the night. I am purposely not eating.

I tried searching online but can’t seem to find similar experiences. Is it just bad cheap gloves? I wonder if I need to wear double gloves or wrap my finger with something extra.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might be from the thin gloves. Some are super thin even if they are labeled as "medical". Lots of things these days are labeled as "medical" even if they really aren't. Double up on gloves or try finger cots instead. They're sold in the first aisle aid alongside band aids. You could also use a q-tip to rub the gel into the skin.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gloves SHOULD have protected you against contamination, but obviously, they didn't. That means there was a small hole somewhere, or you transferred some to yourself when you removed them. Perhaps when you disposed of them you touched something you shouldn't have. Make sure you start removing the gloves by 'pinching' the outside material and pulling it down that way. Then use your uncovered finger to slide UNDER the wrist of the still covered hand and pull it inside out down your hand. Always pull them down inside out to keep the contaminated surfaces inside. Or pulling on the fingertips from the outside to loosen them. If you slide a finger under to pull them down at the wrist, you can come into contact with what you were trying to avoid. The softer feeling was from the powder they use to make the gloves easier to put on. I would consider using a Q-tip like mentioned above, that would work.