Miritaz - on average how long until it works

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Morning, sorry for another post. I’m considering starting Freya on Miritaz today and am wondering in others’ experiences, how long does the Miritaz take to work? I know each situation is different, just looking for a rough idea. Thank you

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although the information states 1-2 days it worked for our cat the same day. I hope it helps Freya too. :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it requires any sort of accumulation/build up in the system so each application should work independent of subsequent (and previous) doses. For Feeby it can take anywhere from a few hours to nearly 24 for her eating to pick up. Not sure why such a deviation.

Just make sure your start out with a low dose and increase only if needed. Feeby has been on Mirataz for about 4 months, and she gets 1/2 dose (0.75" strip which is 1 ml vs. 1.5" which is 2 ml) every third day. As you said, all cats are different, but even with this transdermal gel if a dosage is too high for your cat, it can cause Freya some agitation.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience it didn’t really work for my cat. He semi-ate one day and next day it didn’t really help, back and forth. So I didn’t really think it was worth giving for my cat. It also made the skin on his ears very flakey.

We tried another new appetite stimulant medication too, but I can’t remember the name. I did think Mirtaz was better.