Mirataz question

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo (16yo) has been on Mirataz on and off for the past month. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a month ago and we think as we bring her levels down with methimazole, it is uncovering some kidney issues. The reason for the Mirataz is because her chronic constipation has been really flaring up the past month, resulting in aweekly trips to the vet for enemas and fluids (her last trip was 9 days ago) She is now on cisapride to help colon motility because that seems to be a big issue for her after years of constipation.
My question about Mirataz is how much would you expect appetite to increase on it? We used it to jump start her appetite after each vet visits and because she is so underweight the vet said we can continue giving it. Usually she would eat 4-5 3oz cans of wet food while on it but we noticed when we gave it to her yesterday that it doesn’t seem to be making her quite as hungry. She ate maybe 2 1/2 cans yesterday and today seems to be less interested. Could she be getting used to the Mirataz so it’s less effective or could she have something else going on? She is still eating some and normally when she is sick, she doesn’t eat at all, even on an appetite stimulant.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The cats I have owned who have been on it have instantly become ravenously hungry and stayed that way. However, for them it was very much a near-end-of-life strategy so I can't speak to much longer term use than a month. I am also not suggesting that Echo is not going to be around for a long time, just limiting my experience with Mirataz.

A little weight loss can be a big deal – Mirataz

This is the Dechra website for the drug which, while I did not find an answer to your question exactly, is very complete. You might try contacting them. I call Dechra frequently about my dog's meds and they have always been helpful and easy to reach. They do caution about use with kidney issues which I mention just so you are aware of that but I have no further information about that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really have nothing, but wondered if she is heading toward constipation and dehydration again. How was she in the past when this has occurred? Even with an appetite stimulant there might be less of an inclination to eat under those circumstances. If this were to be the case, you might ask the vet about teaching you how to give sub-q fluids at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been pooping the past 2 days, though not a ton for how much she was eating on the Mirataz. Her poop is not hard but she just has so little motility that it doesn’t come out on it’s own very easily. I have a feeling she is heading toward constipation again, though the other times this happened, she stopped eating almost completely rather than just a reduced amount. i think the Cisapride is helping just enough to get a little bit of stool out, allowing her to eat some.I have thought maybe she could benefit from sub-Q fluids to help her feel better longer but I’m not sure.

Honestly I just don’t know how much more I can take of this. Since her constipation issue in late April and subsequent hyperthyroid diagnosis, we have not gone more than a week without her getting sick again. She went from no meds to 3 meds every morning and night, plus Mirataz once a day on most days. I have bad anxiety and every time she gets sick, I can’t sleep or eat because I worry so much. In a weird way, it would be easier if she wasn’t acting mostly like herself because then I would probably be more willing to give up. I just don’t know what kind of life she will have if we are constantly having to go to the vet, which she hates, and giving her meds.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a cat who has appetite issues and we used to give him Mirataz as needed. It worked great for awhile, and now it doesn't seem to work at all. I can't figure it out, but maybe it DOES lose it's efficacy over time. Guess that's why the instructions are for 14 days. I did call me Vet though and she said it was ok to give it any time my guy slowed down on eating.

As far as the constipation goes, have you tried adding Miralax to her regime along with the cisapride? I think lots of people use the two in combination. It's OTC and is tasteless and odorless, so you can just dissolve a tiny bit (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ) in a little bit of water and add it to her food. I also add extra water to every meal so mine get plenty hydrated. I just mix it up really well so they get more "gravy" or if it's pate day, it's just a little "looser".

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The sub-q fluids at home just might be the answer. It just keep extra fluids in her system to help with bowel movements. I believe I have seen you on the H-T forum - yes? What do they have to say?

Feeby (16+ yo) was diagnosed last October with H-T, and she has seen the vet more times than I care to remember. Since then, she might also be demonstrating some potential kidney issues - we are currently working on that aspect. So far, she doesn't have the constipation aspect, but she is a prolific water drinker, so that might be why.

When Feeby's eating slows down, I supplement it with things like Gerber Stage 2 baby food meat. It's not fully nutritious for a cat, but it does help to keep her going. EDIT: I also use it to get her meds down her.

Anyone suggest Miralax - as noted above by mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , along with her other recommendations?

I, too, obsess about Feeby. I just have to remember to take a deep breath even while I watch her like a hawk.

Last edited:

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who has appetite issues and we used to give him Mirataz as needed. It worked great for awhile, and now it doesn't seem to work at all. I can't figure it out, but maybe it DOES lose it's efficacy over time. Guess that's why the instructions are for 14 days. I did call me Vet though and she said it was ok to give it any time my guy slowed down on eating.

As far as the constipation goes, have you tried adding Miralax to her regime along with the cisapride? I think lots of people use the two in combination. It's OTC and is tasteless and odorless, so you can just dissolve a tiny bit (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ) in a little bit of water and add it to her food. I also add extra water to every meal so mine get plenty hydrated. I just mix it up really well so they get more "gravy" or if it's pate day, it's just a little "looser".
Echo has had daily Miralax for at least the past 5 years. We were doing 1/4 tsp once a day but just increased to 1/4 tsp twice a day, mixed in to her food. Her poop is now a good consistency, it just doesn’t want to come out. The last time she had an enema (on 5/20), the vet said it was soft but wasn’t moving down on it’s own. I’m actually wondering if maybe the Mirataz does more harm than good for her. She eats so much on it that her very slow colon can’t keep up and she gets sick.

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The sub-q fluids at home just might be the answer. It just keep extra fluids in her system to help with bowel movements. I believe I have seen you on the H-T forum - yes? What do they have to say?

Feeby (16+ yo) was diagnosed last October with H-T, and she has seen the vet more times than I care to remember. Since then, she might also be demonstrating some potential kidney issues - we are currently working on that aspect. So far, she doesn't have the constipation aspect, but she is a prolific water drinker, so that might be why.

When Feeby's eating slows down, I supplement it with things like Gerber Stage 2 baby food meat. It's not fully nutritious for a cat, but it does help to keep her going. EDIT: I also use it to get her meds down her.

Anyone suggest Miralax - as noted above by mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , along with her other recommendations?

I, too, obsess about Feeby. I just have to remember to take a deep breath even while I watch her like a hawk.
I haven’t asked about this issue on the H-T forum because I’m not sure how much is due to the H-T or if it’s just the progression of her chronic constipation, which she has had for at least half her life. Tonight I have noticed her going to the room with the litter box a lot but not doing much. I definitely think we will call the main office of her vet tomorrow to see if we can get her in for fluids and yet another enema, especially since Monday is Memorial Day so if she gets worse we would be forced to take her to the emergency vet that we don’t like.
Echo is so picky that she won’t try the baby food at all. There are no “treat” foods that she will eat. I was very shocked when she seemed to love the Hill’s k/d stews, but those are quickly starting to lose their appeal to her.

windham rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Echo (16yo) has been on Mirataz on and off for the past month. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a month ago and we think as we bring her levels down with methimazole, it is uncovering some kidney issues. The reason for the Mirataz is because her chronic constipation has been really flaring up the past month, resulting in aweekly trips to the vet for enemas and fluids (her last trip was 9 days ago) She is now on cisapride to help colon motility because that seems to be a big issue for her after years of constipation.
My question about Mirataz is how much would you expect appetite to increase on it? We used it to jump start her appetite after each vet visits and because she is so underweight the vet said we can continue giving it. Usually she would eat 4-5 3oz cans of wet food while on it but we noticed when we gave it to her yesterday that it doesn’t seem to be making her quite as hungry. She ate maybe 2 1/2 cans yesterday and today seems to be less interested. Could she be getting used to the Mirataz so it’s less effective or could she have something else going on? She is still eating some and normally when she is sick, she doesn’t eat at all, even on an appetite stimulant.
My cat had 2 seizures and stumbled walking after using Mirataz. He died Juneteenth after loosing fur on legs chest and face and behind ears. Never would have given him Mirataz if I knew side effects. Cat had no known serious health issues before Mirataz. after second seizure May 3, 2021 i discontinued use.... I used freshly grated Parmesan cheese it worked to make him eat. I have contacted Manufacturer they need to educate public and the Vets on side effects of Mirataz. It also caused involuntary movement in sleep and when he went to eat his food as well as stumbling and falling over when he walked. Be cautious with drugs you give your pets we are not always told side effects and only learn when it is too late! Enjoy your animals while you have the - they are innocent and deserve better care and research from drug companies!

windham rose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 2 seizures and stumbled walking after using Mirataz. He died Juneteenth after loosing fur on legs chest and face and behind ears. Never would have given him Mirataz if I knew side effects. Cat had no known serious health issues before Mirataz. after second seizure May 3, 2021 i discontinued use.... I used freshly grated Parmesan cheese it worked to make him eat. I have contacted Manufacturer they need to educate public and the Vets on side effects of Mirataz. It also caused involuntary movement in sleep and when he went to eat his food as well as stumbling and falling over when he walked. Be cautious with drugs you give your pets we are not always told side effects and only learn when it is too late! Enjoy your animals while you have the - they are innocent and deserve better care and research from drug companies!
Miralax works for constipation and you can use some olive oil in his food. Never had a problem with either product,

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miralax works for constipation and you can use some olive oil in his food. Never had a problem with either product,
I am so sorry about the loss of your cat. With all medications comes the chance for side effects and even death and we all hope that we're not the ones affected by it. Echo has actually been doing very well on Mirataz for the past few months and now is perhaps doing too well as she has been eating like crazy so we are going to start trying to wean her off and see how she does. She hasn't had any side effects from it to date, for which I am grateful, but I will definitely make sure to keep a close eye on her.
As for the constipation, she has been on Miralax for years and I am having to increase the dose now to get the same results as before. She will not accept anything in her food that has any sort of flavor so olive oil will not work for her. Right now she is on a good path that I hope continues.