Mirataz - a miracle for my girl?

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old girl has been chronicled here for the better part of a year regarding her issues around feeding. She ended up getting a convenia shot Thursday after peeing on my bed. Six weeks prior she had a bad bacteria UTI and got the same shot and had no reaction. The next day my girl has LESS of an appetite than usual. She's just showing zero interest in food. I open a new bag, no reaction. I'm doing all the tricks and just nothing. Hours go by and just no interest. Called the vet and the vet put in an RX for Mirataz that I picked up this morning.

Holy moley. The cat I've owned for a decade is FINALLY back. She is screaming at me for food and chowing down. I don't need to coax her. She's just going to town on her own and begging for more food and yelling at me for food. That's my girl, that's the cat before everything went to shit in Fall 2021. By 3:00 PM today she had eaten more than she had the past 4 days and more than she usually ate on a "high calorie day." I might have to start refusing to feed her if this keeps up!!!!

She only got 1/4 of an inch. I don't know what tomorrow will bring or if this will last but holy moley it was nice to see my cat again. I'm just so elated I had to share. Obviously have to give this a few days and follow up with the vet to see if this should be a long term thing and if so is this the right dosage. But at least for today it was just so wonderful to see my cat again.

I don't know why we hadn't tried this before. I think some of it was even thought I was complaining about her eating the previous vet would just look at the scale and go with that and I guess she didn't listen to me when I said I was spending 3-4 hours a day feeding her and that was why she hadn't dropped weight. Obviously I'm glad we've ruled everything medical out but man I wish we did this a year ago. At my age and with some of my conditions I don't have many good mobile years left!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Holy moley. The cat I've owned for a decade is FINALLY back.
That's wonderful news, thanks for the update! :thumbsup: I hope she makes up for lost time and glad you have your girl back again.
Our cat was put on Mirtazapine a few times and it jump started his appetite immediately. I always keep it on hand hoping I don't have to use it but knowing I have it just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breakfast was something else. Normal routine...wake up, clean litter boxes, feed her, then go shower. Normally she'd eat 0.1-0.2oz. This is her alone feeding. Today she ate 0.6oz. She ate, then did an drinker, then ate, drinker, ate then left (cameras ftw). After i get out of the shower she always wants to eat again and she ate another 0.2 all on her own. I was making coffee and not standing next to her.

Just wow. This is nuts. She's never eaten that much all by herself since she went on her "hunger strike" or even this much so fast in the morning. It's so bizarre to have a cat that eats without a fight again.