Miralax Dosage

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends!
My cat went to the vet yesterday because she’s been having chronic diarrhea since Sunday and she hasn’t had a BM since yesterday. The dr told me to get Miralax and gave her about an 1/8 around 8 PM on Thursday 3/19. If I feed her in the morning today, can I up the dosage a bit to a little less than 1/4? Or would it be too close from the last time? She’s been eating like crazy today and worried that she’s blocked up..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A BM might not happen for a few days after diarrhea. One day is not long enough to think constipation. Miralax can be given twice a day and 1/4 tsp. is not too much, but watch it, or you will have diarrhea again. the best thing to do is to call and ask the vet. It would be much better to try to get some fiber and water into him, try pumpkin puree (without spices!), a tsp. at first, mixed in some food. Another thing, cats will usually stop eating when they are constipated too. So watch for that sign.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might take up to a day or a little longer for the first dose to work. Give it 2 or 3 days on the 1/8 teaspoon dose. Ask the vet if it would be ok to increase the frequency of the dose to twice a day.

Some cats don't poop every day or occasionally just skip a day. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of poop since yesterday. Your cat may go later today at some point.

Somebody

Findus' & Simba's dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a chronically constipated cat. I started out with 1/4 teaspoon about once a week that worked together with pumpkinbut it got worse. Now I have her on 1/2 teaspoon once a day and until recently that worked fine so in my experience that dose is OK. But of course I'm not a vet, just saying my cat took this dosage for about a year without problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends! Thank you all for the lovely advice and assurance. Still no poop on day 2 today :( still feeling pretty anxious.. the dr said I can give 1/8 twice a day. I might try to give her some weruva that has some pumpkin in it to see if that’ll trigger it?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi friends! Thank you all for the lovely advice and assurance. Still no poop on day 2 today :( still feeling pretty anxious.. the dr said I can give 1/8 twice a day. I might try to give her some weruva that has some pumpkin in it to see if that’ll trigger it?
1/8 tsp twice a day isn't a big deal. That's the standard amount to start with.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends day 2 and still no poop :( gave her some wet food thag has pumpkin and gave her more miralax.. really hoping for some poop tonight.

Somebody

Findus' & Simba's dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I have that every day. I think it's important you get her flushed out. Giving more Miralax might lead to diarrhea but when it's laxative induced it will go away. I wouldn't be afraid to give half a teaspoon every day until she makes some. Normally an enema would be a last ditch solution but with the state of things vets might not want to see you over it now.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! For those that give 1/2 tsp a day, do you give it all at once or split it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1/2 teaspoon is a pretty high dose. I'd ask the vet before you give such a large dose. It would be better to give 1/4 teaspoon twice a day.

Can you get another opinion from a different vet?

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1/2 teaspoon is a pretty high dose. I'd ask the vet before you give such a large dose. It would be better to give 1/4 teaspoon twice a day.

Can you get another opinion from a different vet?
Hi! Sorry for the confusion I meant 1/4 twice a day :)

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fed her this morning around 430 am with 1/4 of miralax and wet food. Still nothing :( She’s walking around her litterbox but nothing yet.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a pet cam to see if she uses the litterbox and she’ll like look inside then walk away? It’s happened a couple times this morning. Idk what’s going on...

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She pooped!!!!!