Minwi and Cadie on raw diet

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my first batch of raw

I have an 8 years old female (Cadie )who ate can and dry all her life. Few month ago a very young black kitten came into my life and started to ask for food when I cook mine so I started to give her little ball of hamburger meats every once in a while....she loved it.

So I got interested about raw feeding. Last week I've tried frozen local pet store raw food...they did not like it, also tried dried raw food...they liked it, but I did not.

Yesterday I did my first batch of raw (beef meats, chicken heart, and duck egg shell powder) only Minwi the kitten went for it. did a second batch but this time added a little water so the consistency look more like her fav can food.

Miracle, that work and they ask for more.

I've use egg shell cause I am having a hard time finding bone meal to get my kitten more phosphorus.

temporarily other than bone meal how can I add phosphorus ?,.

I give her a can of kitten food every once in a while
Milk also has a lots of it or the yellow of the egg

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s great that your cats are liking the raw food diet. It’s best to follow an established recipe to make sure your cats are getting all their necessary nutrients. Eggshell is a great substitute for bone, I use it in my own batches. I also add a bit of gelatin powder because collagen is the one thing missing from the eggshell that my cats would be getting from bones.

I recommend you read the recipe on here:
StackPath

You don’t really need to add extra phosphorus because the meat you’re using is a phosphorus source. You just need to make sure you’re adding the right amount of eggshell to balance out the calcium to phosphorus ratio. The link above explains how to do this.

Although, now that I think of it, you’re feeding a kitten so it might be good to get the phosphorus up a bit for a growing kitten. Have you considered just using raw bone instead of eggshell? The recipe I linked to above describes how to use raw bone from chicken thighs.

There are other supplements that you should be adding to your recipe too, such as Vitamins E, B, and an iodine source. You also need to add some organ meats such as liver. Hearts are a good source of taurine but they count as a muscle meat.

Also, are you using whole cuts of beef or ground? I never feed pre-ground supermarket raw beef because it tends to be higher in bacteria load.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s great that your cats are liking the raw food diet. It’s best to follow an established recipe to make sure your cats are getting all their necessary nutrients. Eggshell is a great substitute for bone, I use it in my own batches. I also add a bit of gelatin powder because collagen is the one thing missing from the eggshell that my cats would be getting from bones.

I recommend you read the recipe on here:
StackPath

You don’t really need to add extra phosphorus because the meat you’re using is a phosphorus source. You just need to make sure you’re adding the right amount of eggshell to balance out the calcium to phosphorus ratio. The link above explains how to do this.

Although, now that I think of it, you’re feeding a kitten so it might be good to get the phosphorus up a bit for a growing kitten. Have you considered just using raw bone instead of eggshell? The recipe I linked to above describes how to use raw bone from chicken thighs.

There are other supplements that you should be adding to your recipe too, such as Vitamins E, B, and an iodine source. You also need to add some organ meats such as liver. Hearts are a good source of taurine but they count as a muscle meat.

Also, are you using whole cuts of beef or ground? I never feed pre-ground supermarket raw beef because it tends to be higher in bacteria load.
So far everything is going good, Cadie even started loosing weight.
My meat come from the butcher. I have frosen chicken wing and tips in the freezer, but I have to find a meat grinder as blender is starting to smell burnt...lol
In the last batch a smaller one, I've mix the yellow egg, cause it is a good source of phosphorus. Thanks for the recepy ,I will check it out

Attachments

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
So far everything is going good, Cadie even started loosing weight.
My meat come from the butcher. I have frosen chicken wing and tips in the freezer, but I have to find a meat grinder as blender is starting to smell burnt...lol
In the last batch a smaller one, I've mix the yellow egg, cause it is a good source of phosphorus. Thanks for the recepy ,I will check it out
That’s good. You just need to be really careful that your calcium to phosphorus ratio is good. Egg yolk is a good source of nutrients but I’m worried that your recipe might be nutritionally incomplete. Cats can seem fine for months before signs of nutritional deficiency start to show. You can post your recipe here and we can give you advice.

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s good. You just need to be really careful that your calcium to phosphorus ratio is good. Egg yolk is a good source of nutrients but I’m worried that your recipe might be nutritionally incomplete. Cats can seem fine for months before signs of nutritional deficiency start to show. You can post your recipe here and we can give you advice.
Up until I get adjusted with nutrition I gave em so AD can food.
Right now ,meats(beef or pork), liver 10%, and duck powder egg shell.
And I will ordered TCfeline premix

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Up until I get adjusted with nutrition I gave em so AD can food.
Right now ,meats(beef or pork), liver 10%, and duck powder egg shell.
And I will ordered TCfeline premix
Ah, okay. Sounds good then. I would just check to make sure the tcfeline premix doesn’t have a calcium source added in it already, because the eggshell may be too much then.

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, okay. Sounds good then. I would just check to make sure the tcfeline premix doesn’t have a calcium source added in it already, because the eggshell may be too much then.
There will be 2 batch, one with egg shell and the other with Tcfeline premix

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
There will be 2 batch, one with egg shell and the other with Tcfeline premix
Okay, but eggshell alone won't make it a complete meal. The TCFeline premix also has other vitamins and supplements that make it a complete meal. So if you're going to feed equal amounts of both batches then you'll want to add more supplements to the eggshell batch to make it complete.

lucky luc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, but eggshell alone won't make it a complete meal. The TCFeline premix also has other vitamins and supplements that make it a complete meal. So if you're going to feed equal amounts of both batches then you'll want to add more supplements to the eggshell batch to make it complete.
I wonder if I could find some small game brain, which are loaded with phosphorus and omega3
Just found this place in my town, will have to check it out
CaniPro | nos formules de viande crue Barf

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What about vitamins B, E, iodine, manganese, taurine? Will you increase the eggshell amount if you increase the phosphorus? By how much? Ingredients need to be specifically measured to the right amount.