Minoxidil

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm transgender and have been looking for a way to get a beard for a long time... I decided to try minoxidil after seeing a lot of great results online.
I didn't realize how toxic it was to cats, I just figured it'd be fine if I washed my hands well and didn't let them give me kisses for a few hours...

But now (nearly 4 hours after my first dose) I'm terrified that I've already doomed them. Neither of my two cats are experiencing symptoms and it has only been 4 hours since my first dose ever, but I did cuddle with both of them prior to washing my face (which I've done twice now) and I'm terrified because I've read they can die from just laying on a pillow.

I guess my point in posting this is to ask has anyone used minoxidil with cats around? What precautions do you take? And for reassurance and support. I love my angels so much, I don't want to hurt them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried it for several months because of thinning hair unfortunately I am one of the ones that it didn't work for it. I found this Minoxidil® Toxicity in Cats - PetPlace . It is toxic for cats but the cases that have been reported have been from direct contact with the solution. Exposure was from cats walking through spilled solution and people using it on their cats to treat hair loss on their cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has used Minoxidil for years and our cats have never gotten any adverse symptoms from it. I would say the toxicity you are talking about would not be from a casual exposure from some applied to you, but from actually ingesting it or having it applied to their own bodies. You probably got your 'pillow' info from the internet which is a hotbed for exaggeration and misinformation if you don't go to a medical site that can be trusted. Some people get their kicks out of scaring others. Even if they state it is toxic, you hear all those side effects they give on TV about drugs, (how about anal leakage, or developing heart failure with many drugs/supplements?) or the DR. telling you before a surgery you have a chance of dying, but the chance is so small it will actually happen people still go ahead with it. Don't worry about it, just take normal precautions like waiting until it is absorbed and washing your hands after application, you and your cats will be fine.
PS THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention, one more thing to add to ensure the safety of our precious little ones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I called the Animal Poison Control number and my friend paid the consultation fee (side note - that fee is ridiculous and we should all work on getting better funding so that people do not have to pay 65 dollars to consult poison control for their furbabies)... The doctor there said that since I nuzzled them about 30 minutes after applying the liquid to my face, it may not have absorbed into my skin and therefore could have gotten onto them. So I'm waiting up with them making sure there are no symptoms then I'm supposed to make sure my vet is open and try to bring them in. Otherwise, it's to the expensive emergency room for me to make sure they're okay!

I just really think it's unethical that there's not a single warning on the packaging or in the FAQ and instructions or drug facts about this. Like it seems like a really toxic substance and I didn't think it would be that toxic. I figured as long as I washed my hands and didn't put it ON them, it'd be fine.

Anyway, here's hoping for an expensive "everything's fine" for me. A quick easy tox screen and in bed before you know it... I'm wiped!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everything turns out okay. This is a good thing for people to know, a lot of people use minoxidil or have someone in the household that does. I didn't think about it when I was using it, I was careful with it in that I treated it as a medication which it is. I certainly wouldn't put it on one of my cats.

From what I read cats lack the enzyme necessary to break down Minoxidil. That is why NSAIDS and some essential oils are a problem for cats.