Minnie Has Slightly Elevated Alt & Alkp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's terrific that she ate the taurine.
"A minute later her sister Sophie came by and ate it...cats! Gotta love ‘em!"
LOL
Can you determine a way to crush that milk thistle pill?
It’s supposed to be given on an empty stomach. I’d have to mix it in too much food for her to not detect it.

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about a bit of prosciutto?
Prosciutto? I know I’m Italian but I didn’t think prosciutto was good for cats as wel...lol!
All kidding aside I may try covering the pill with cheese - not sure though if I’ll use cheddar, brie or cream!

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prosciutto? I know I’m Italian but I didn’t think prosciutto was good for cats as wel...lol!
All kidding aside I may try covering the pill with cheese - not sure though if I’ll use cheddar, brie or cream!
As an add, Minnie was doing great this morning up until she jumped up on the kitchen counter and slurped up some milk I had there for coffee. I saw her jump up and couldn’t get there in time. A few seconds later she projectile vomited all over the kitchen floor.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A few seconds later she projectile vomited all over the kitchen floor.
Phooey. and, ewww. I'm sorry that happened to you ...
On a brighter side, what if you tried some goat milk, cat sip milk or low-no lactose cow milk?

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phooey. and, ewww. I'm sorry that happened to you ...
On a brighter side, what if you tried some goat milk, cat sip milk or low-no lactose cow milk?
I’d rather not try any milk at this point. I’ve never really given either cat milk.
Funny thing happened last night. I don’t know, Minnie is surprising me with her quest for food. I was cutti g up chicken breasts which were previously frozen and she jumped up on the counter and pawed a piece. She’s NEVER taken to raw food like my other cat does but I thought I would give it a try since she showed an interest. Well, she ate 3 pcs! I waited for the projectile vomit but she kept it down! I’d be so happy if she would switch from canned to raw.

Katiekat412

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the long post.... Minnie my 7 yr old cat was always approx 13 lbs. I used to feed her Fancy Feast canned and Fromm dry food. When my other cat Sophie became ill with IBD I decided to change their food in case it was an allergy to something in the FF that was causing issues with Sophie. So both cats were switched to a raw diet. Sophie took to it right away, Minnie did not like it. So Minnie was switched to a high protein no carb wet food and I completely removed the dry food for both. This was in October 2017.
I started to notice that Minnie was losing weight. At first I thought it was normal due to the fact that she is eating more protein and no dry ( which she used to eat about 3/4 cup per day plus 1.5 cans FF). Since mid Jan, she has been constantly begging me for food and despite eating 1.5 large cans of food, she continues to lose weight. I had blood work done and most came back normal except elevated ALT and ALKp. Her GLU was low. My first thought before the bloods were done was thyroid or diabetes. Both are normal.
The vet prescribed Zentonil (sp?) which is SAMe and milk thistle but the pills are HUGE. Even split she won’t take them. I tried crushing them and mixing with a bit of food and that didn’t work either. My question is, can I buy human grade milk thistle powder and mix it in her food? If so what brand do you use. Do any of you have experience with digestive emzymes? Do you think adding that would help Minnie absorb the nutrients from her food and help with the weight loss? I’ve included her blood test results. Please help...!
Denamarin is Sam-E e and milk thistle. It’s great for liver protection and the animal form should be used. They’re js a liquid form of milk thistle called let well bring, but the dose is much Lower and not very buoavailsble, plus you’re missing the same wgicbjz clinically proven to produce glutathione. HOWEVER. you’re cats values are just barely out of range. That’s usually just a sign of age but could be a sign of a future problem; good to address sooner than later. Liver issues are usually addressed rooo late. Did the vet say anything about the really low platelets??? I’d be more concerned about that. The glucose is also only slightly low. The platelets are very low.