mini RC cars make great interactive toys

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are fickle when it comes to playing. They get bored with their toys quickly, so I have had to get creative with how I play with them. For a while I toyed around with the idea of getting a small RC car that I could drive around and the cats could chase after, but i was never sure how they would take to it. I got one off Amazon last week, and my cats both love it! I set up a couple ramps made out of cardboard around my apartment, and I drive the cars around, jump them off the ramps, etc, and the cats go wild for it. I've even attached feathers to the back a couple times for an added piece of visual stimulation. I have found that the movements from the car can be more rodent-like (with a bit of practice) because you can alter its course immediately, rather than having predictable arcs and dragging patterns when using Da Bird or other fishing pole toys.

They're cheap (the one I got was around $10), only a couple inches long, you just have to plug them into the wall to recharge vs buying batteries, and they can take a beating (this thing has seen the inside of my cats' mouths quite a bit over the last week). I also imagine this would be a good way to keep your cats stimulated if you have a bad back, arthritis, or something else that prevents you from actively playing with your cats. 

Last edited:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll keep that in mind!  I have cats who are very active and also need creative play.  Actually, I just posted on those creative type ideas to help cats play on my blog - I found an awesome you-tube clip of someone's cats that show each stage in process, using nano bugs.  The link is in my signature, post under 'toys'.  I haven't tried all the tricks they did with the nano bugs, but just the plain nano bug is pretty awesome (and they don't ever flip over so you have to go right it).

Oh, and it brings a smile to mind this one little 'caution' about remote controlled toys...we tried a helicopter.  It was walloped out of the air in about 5 seconds flat, so 'GOT' that it was busted.  Don't bother with a helicopter!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have the link to the toy that you bought? This piqued my interest, and Jed's been needing new creative ways of toying. He loves to chase stuff that are on the ground, so this sounds perfect. Is it loud? 

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's me you want the link from, I have links or search options for every toy I review on my blog (see my signature)