Mind watching this biting video? Looking for feedback!

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone!

I’m still figuring out what I think is mostly play aggression with my adopted boy Rocky. He is 3 years old and was fixed in the beginning of June. He was found a stray.

He attacks me like this after a play session and feeding. Maybe not played out enough?

Really, the feedback I’m looking for is about how aggressive it is- these are pretty forceful bites! I do my best to totally ignore and I try to distract, but he’s usually not interested.

Any feedback or advice is welcome!

Thanks I advance.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By ignoring do you mean you sit there letting him bite you instead of reacting? That's what I see in the video.

Ignoring would be not allowing the behavior to continue. A better way to handle that is get up and walk away and let him cool down for a few minutes. Or, providing him immediately with a toy to let him take out that aggression on - large "kicker" toys for instance. He should learn feet (and hands) are not toys.

I wonder if he is reacting to the scent of something, perhaps the detergent you use. Some cats get wired up by certain scents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By ignoring do you mean you sit there letting him bite you instead of reacting? That's what I see in the video.

Ignoring would be not allowing the behavior to continue. A better way to handle that is get up and walk away and let him cool down for a few minutes. Or, providing him immediately with a toy to let him take out that aggression on - large "kicker" toys for instance. He should learn feet (and hands) are not toys.

I wonder if he is reacting to the scent of something, perhaps the detergent you use. Some cats get wired up by certain scents.
Yes, I read about not reacting and kind of “taking the bite” to make it totally not fun for them. When I do try to get up to let him cool down, he chases me and attacks. I could definitely do that again- that’s what I started out doing. When I try to distract him with kickers and other toys, he might check it out for a second then zero in on me again.

Good point about the detergent!! I’ll try something new next laundry day!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be best if you could immediately walk away from him after a play session or when you sense that he is ready to pounce and bite. If it does, give a loud hiss or Oww! and use a pillow or something to get between your leg and him. If he has a hold of you, push your leg towards him , give him a shove away and protect yourself from another bite. I also have used a WE DO NOT BITE! in my firmest loudest mom voice with some success.

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would be best if you could immediately walk away from him after a play session or when you sense that he is ready to pounce and bite. If it does, give a loud hiss or Oww! and use a pillow or something to get between your leg and him. If he has a hold of you, push your leg towards him , give him a shove away and protect yourself from another bite. I also have used a WE DO NOT BITE! in my firmest loudest mom voice with some success.
Thanks for your feedback, I will leave some pillows and things strategically around. I need to find my
teacher voice... the summer has me rusty! Thanks again

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW, pulling a hand or foot away from the cat only triggers them to continue attacking. It's what their natural prey would do. It's actually better to push TOWARDS them as susanm9006 susanm9006 said, as it triggers a release behavior. I used this technique when our younger one was a kitten with a stern "No no".

Of course there's a difference between a kitten play fighting and a full grown cat so this may not work for you.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
looks a lil wound up with his tail lashing about an seems more of a gnawing.(affectionate type invite to play rough note the use of back leggs to kick ears arent laid flat either) rather than a real bite with intent to hurt you graycie does that to me to i allow it while telling her no biting.get a stuffed dog chew toy that he can beat up they last longer than cat ones. keep in mind though my observations/assumptions about your cat can be totally off i only have my interactions with graycie to go from. he seems more like he wants to play rough than aggressive just be glad he has no kitten teeth :lol: or you foot would be scarred like my arms

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't let the cat bite you. I tell Belle "No" or "No teeth" and disengage as necessary. The few times Belle got really aggressive, I've sometimes squished her. Pulling away so the claws dig deeper isn't good The advice about not acting like prey is spot on.

Play with your cat more often.

I have to admit, the body language in the video looks like what Belle does when she gets really interested in a smell.

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW, pulling a hand or foot away from the cat only triggers them to continue attacking. It's what their natural prey would do. It's actually better to push TOWARDS them as susanm9006 susanm9006 said, as it triggers a release behavior. I used this technique when our younger one was a kitten with a stern "No no".

Of course there's a difference between a kitten play fighting and a full grown cat so this may not work for you.
I’ll do that, thanks for the advice!

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
looks a lil wound up with his tail lashing about an seems more of a gnawing.(affectionate type invite to play rough note the use of back leggs to kick ears arent laid flat either) rather than a real bite with intent to hurt you graycie does that to me to i allow it while telling her no biting.get a stuffed dog chew toy that he can beat up they last longer than cat ones. keep in mind though my observations/assumptions about your cat can be totally off i only have my interactions with graycie to go from. he seems more like he wants to play rough than aggressive just be glad he has no kitten teeth :lol: or you foot would be scarred like my arms
Yes it does seem like he just wants to play! I think I need to find the perfect toy that he preferred kicking and biting... thanks for your advice!!

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
besides all the other great suggestions, scatter around chew toys so he has something else to chew on. Distract him by shaking atoy and throwing it. Any noise will make him stop
Definitely think it’s time to buy some more, thanks!

IkeaMonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't let the cat bite you. I tell Belle "No" or "No teeth" and disengage as necessary. The few times Belle got really aggressive, I've sometimes squished her. Pulling away so the claws dig deeper isn't good The advice about not acting like prey is spot on.

Play with your cat more often.

I have to admit, the body language in the video looks like what Belle does when she gets really interested in a smell.
Such a good point about the smell, I hadn’t thought of that. I actually play with him about 4 hours a day right now- on summer break so I have the time! I think one issue is that we are in a one bedroom apartment, and even though we spend a lot of time playing, he’s not realllly running around and getting zoomies/work out.