Milk

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm sorry if this been discussed before, I couldn't figure out how to search the forums.

I know most cats are lactose intolerant, but I've always feed my 10 years old cat with some milk as a treat nearly all his life and he never appeared to be bothered by it - no soft stool, no apparent upset stomach or discomfort - so I was confident he simply wasn't lactose intolerant. Now that I have a second younger cat, I was a bit apprehensive serving him milk too, so I started with very small amounts when he was about 7-8 months, and it seems as though it's not causing him any issue either. Am I just lucky or am I reading them wrong? Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I got some Whiskas milk to see if I would notice any difference, but haven't tried it yet. I was a little surprise the product wasn't refrigerated (only needing to be refrigerated after opening), I'm not thrilled at the idea of added preservatives and other unnecessary ingredients (corn syrup solids??). Wouldn't I be better off with regular milk if both tolerate it fine? Another issue is the time the milk lasts before expiration versus the amount I give them, which is about a teaspoon per day (sometimes it pours a little more and it's closer to a tablespoon), so I'm never going to use the whole thing before it goes bad. Any input appreciated!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get your hands on goat's milk, that is a little easier on kitty tummies. Some cats are more sensitive than others to milk plus lactose turns into sugar once digested; which is bad for cats with diabetes.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although most cats are lactose intolerant, just like most other animals past infancy, not all are. I don't know where you got your cats, but farm cats, ones born and raised generation after generation on working farms with dairy cows tend to be less likely to be lactose intolerant. Also if you are only giving a small amount it's unlikely to cause an issue, it generally causes more issues when you offer an entire bowl of milk. Cats don't need milk, but if they tolerate the milk just fine then I don't think there is any big issue giving them a little. Just keep in mind that milk is high in fat and calories when looking at it as a treat.

The Whiskas cat milk is not the same as regular milk, it's a 98% lactose free milk product, it also contains some other stuff that is good for cats that milk doesn't have (and some not so good stuff too). I only give it as an occasional treat, less then once a month, and I use one container for all 10 of my cats, so they get about a tablespoon each.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know milk is high in fat (though I buy 1% milk), that's why I stick to a teaspoon. Just a few licks to satisfy them. It's also their only treat as well, as I don't have a penchant for kibble treats (I just put them in a drawer and forget they exist). I can't take the milk carton out of the fridge without alerting the cats, so it's an effective reminder (yes, the extremely subtle opening of the spout does not escape my cats hearing).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have some shredded cheddar cheese, my guy loves that and gets (not nearly enough to his mind) a little every couple days or so.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my kitties Answers Fermented Raw Goats Milk. They get 2oz per day mixed with their Answers Detail breakfast. Both kitties love it and don’t have any tummy issues.

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my kitties Answers Fermented Raw Goats Milk. They get 2oz per day mixed with their Answers Detail breakfast. Both kitties love it and don’t have any tummy issues.
They had frozen raw goat milk (Big Country Raw, canadian brand) at the store I got the Whiskas milk from. From what I'm reading, it seems to more natural and can last 14 days, which is longer then Whiskas. It also can be refrozen if I can't use it all within that time period. That actually seems like a product I would prefer over Whiskas milk. It is not lactose-reduced however. Not sure how my cats would handle raw milk too. Is that more difficult to digest, or the other way around?

Raw fermented goat milk

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goat's milk is closer to cat milk and tends to be tolerated by cats better. It can be used for orphaned kittens if KMR isn't available.

You could get a small ice tray and freeze it in one or two day serving amounts. Then just defrost a cube when needed.

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goat's milk is closer to cat milk and tends to be tolerated by cats better. It can be used for orphaned kittens if KMR isn't available.

You could get a small ice tray and freeze it in one or two day serving amounts. Then just defrost a cube when needed.
What about the fact that it's raw? My cats are not on a raw diet. Would it cause issues?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about the fact that it's raw? My cats are not on a raw diet. Would it cause issues?
It shouldn't cause a problem in small amounts. Larger amounts would maybe cause some initial tummy problems as they adjust just like any diet change raw or otherwise.