Mildly Concerned About Water Consumption

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, all!

So, until recently, I was putting two bowls of water out for my baby, both in different rooms and apart from the food. I recently upgraded one to a Whisker City fountain bowl, and keep the other in the living room, hoping eventually to just use the fountain because it's a little less cleaning and refilling, and because it's supposed to increase their desire to drink if it's moving.

However, I am concerned that she's not drinking enough. Now, I know cats don't drink that much anyways, and she never drank that much before. I also know that cats sleep a /lot/, but she seems to be sleeping more than average (she just turned one) the past few days. I was just wondering if I've done something wrong? Could lethargy be related to potential dehydration? Are there other signs I should look for?

The fountain is not in a place where I can ordinarily see it. When I first powered it on, she investigated, and I think she took a drink. I've had to partially refill it one time, and it's been about three days. Her bowl of water in the other room seems to be evaporating as opposed to going down significantly.

I add water to her wet food, so she gets water, but I'm a little worried that she's not drinking enough. She is my first cat, and I've had her since December with no health problems or hiccups whatsoever. She is extremely spoiled in every way- the best food, plenty of toys, free roam of the house except for kitchen counters. I want to make sure I'm doing the best by her.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fountains and wide ceramic water bowls for my cats. some of the guys prefer the fountain, some prefer the bowl. My fountain i top up daily, tear down each weekend and run through the dishwasher, refill with cold filtered water.
The bowls i run through the dishwasher every weekend as well. but since they are still water i dump and give a hard spray to clean, and refill with cold filtered water at least once a day. I think cats, like us like cold, very clean fresh water.

If you add water to wet food chances are she gets most of the moisture she needs from that. She may only drink a few times per day.

Cats do sleep quite a bit, i'm thinking average is 15 to 20 hours per day, something like that.

If she seems to eat well, drink when needed, using her litter box, i know mine pee about 3 times a day, poo every day to day and a half. she is playful and alert when awake, dosent seem stressed i would not worry to much.

But if you are worried, or she has not had a good vet visit yet then i would set one up. Yearly wellness visits go a long way to keeping them healthy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went to the vet twice since I got her, once for a wellness check and once for a booster vaccine. We have an appointment scheduled... Some time in the next month or two, I think. My vet calls to remind me to set the date down.

The water-to-the-wet-food thing just doesn't seem enough to me. But hey, if it works :3

Thanks for the help, friend!